Why canoe on a lake?

WaterBaby

I remember being forced to go "canoeing" on a lake in summer camp as a kid. If I was in the mood for a relaxing afternoon, it wasn't that bad, but usually I was bored out of my mind. What kinds of things can you do in a canoe on a lake to entertain oneself?

Newanderthal

Explore the edges and get into little coves where motor boats can't get. You can hop out and swim (be sure you can get back in without flipping the canoe). You can do some fishing. Have a picnic on an island. Have a picnic in the boat. Practice your stroke. Get some exercise. Take some pictures. Go camping. Paddle to the far bank and go hiking. Explore.

Basically, you do all the same things you would do in any other boat, only at a more leisurely pace.

WaterBaby

See, you make it sound a lot more fun if camp hadn't ruined it for me. :p We weren't supposed to swim, fish, eat, or anything like that. It was just an hour of sitting in the boat. Exercise and practicing my stoke probably would have been more fun if my fellow campers were more adventurous. :D

popupgirl

Canoeing is fun and it would be fun to do it on the lake. I wouldn't want to canoe on the ocean (I want more protectiong around me). Canoes are fun to be in, you have to be careful not to tip them over. You can read on the lake, swim, or just canoe.

firefly

That is just those camp rules. If you go out on a lake now you could do whatever you want. A lot of good suggestions in the other posts here.

Sierra

I can relate, Waterbaby. I was forced to do the boating thing at camp too and I found it incredibly boring. Now whenever I'm out in a paddle boat of any kind I feel trapped, just like I did at camp.

WaterBaby

I guess that place left a real impression on me - it never even occured to me that canoeing could be fun! It might take a bit to rid me of that association now, but I guess if the opportunity arises I can give it a try. :)

Fishing

I thought canoeing was just fun alone, all in itself. Just the enjoyment of being on the water, seeing others enjoying the water as well, not to mention it is a great form of exercise for the typical person.