Winning Coach In 100-0 B-Ball Game Fired

jason

fear no beer
The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper stating he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity" and posted a detailed explanation on a hoops Web site.

Winning Basketball Coach In 100-0 Game Fired - cbs11tv.com

Should he have let the other team score?

Should he apologize?

Kitten

No, he should not have let the other team score. I do think it's really excessive for them to have made that many, though. It's common courtesy that if you're winning by a large margin, you back off and don't rub it in even more.

HereToday

Yeah, baseball is really the only sport that I'm familiar with the etiquette, but you sure don't show up the other team when they're 'way down. In baseball it is considered bad form to steal a base if you're ahead by ten points and it's the last inning. That's show-boating.

boxoff

Really what does giving free points to the other team going to teach these girls? You think people are going to give them their money back when they go all in at a poker game and loose everything they worked hard for? How about not having any money to pay your rent, the landlords going to give you a break right? The principal needs to be fired. A game is a game of competition and only the best win

monkeycat

To me personally, no, he should not apologise.

He's got little to apologise for. Admittedly, his team could have shown a degree of mercy for the opposition but lets remember, it's a competitive game.