Winter camping?

campclose

Has anyone camped in the winter? I have never done this before and would love to (I think). I was just researching winter camping. It looks pretty fun. You can go skiing, snow tubing, sledding, and hiking in the snow. I love to do all of those things. I’m thinking it would mean no tent camping as it is too cold in NY to be staying in a tent.
How about renting a cabin or taking a camper.
I’d love to hear about your stories with winter camping. Am I crazy to want to give it a try?

Sky

No you aren't crazy at all. Winter camping is very common. Especially, for the sports you mentioned above. Not everybody goes for the hotel or lodge overnights. We personally love to rent a cabin out for a couple of nights. We love sitting in front of the fireplace on a cold night and also soaking in the jacuzzi.

2coastcamper

Wow, I love winder camping. It always seems more peaceful. The last time I went, it only snowed a few flakes, but the night got quite cold ... I was alone, with only my dog, and in a dome tent. But I had very warm clothes and a good sleeping bag ... those are crucial.

As for taking a camper or getting a cabin ... there will be nothing really to worry about there. You'll be more than able to stay warm enough.

calanta

Honestly I like cooler nights and days to camp rather than hot and sticky ones, even though I tend to do both its more towards the cooler times. I started doing this on a dare when I was a teen, I guess it stuck around.

firefly

I have camped in Florida in the winter. But I have never camped in the snow. I have always wanted to rent a cabin up in the mountains. I don`t know how to snow ski but it sure would be fun to go sledding.

jason

fear no beer
You can get cold weather sleeping bags and tents.

A good winter camp will have 4-5 high grad aluminum poles, full coverage rain fly, steep sidewalls, two doors on opposite ends (in case you get snowed in on one side), and a rain fly that pitches separately from the tent so you can use it as a roof for a modified snow cave shelter.

Sleep tent should be rated for minus 15 to minus 40 degrees. Mummy shaped bags are more efficient at keeping the boyd warm. Down bags are lighter and have a better weight to warmth ratio, they will keep you warmer. However synthetic fills hold up better when wet. I would put down a sleep pad so that the ground does not draw heat from you.

Katydid

I like winter and love the winter sports you mentioned, but I don't think I could tolerate sleeping in a tent even with all the appropriate equipment. I'm definitely a cabin girl in the winter time.

Nate9000

i love winter camping. its the best.. i live in western mass. and i do it all the time... if you do it right its actually very warm..

popupgirl

I have never went winter camping and I am not sure if I would want to. We get a lot of snow here, and snow and sleeping outside in a tent to me sounds "brrrrr".
I wouldn't mind getting a cabin though in some state park and camping. That sounds really romantic. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Tomboy

Once the weather starts to get really cold, I have to admit camping goes out of my mind completely. We like to spend time outdoors in the winter, and will go sledding and skiing, but we do a day-trip or stay at a hotel. I like my hot showers on those cold winter morning . :tinysmile_hmm_t:

HikerChick

I've rented cabins in the winter so that I could go hiking and snow tubing, but that's it. I hardly count that as "camping" because the cabins were so well furnished. The heaters weren't that awesome, but I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to cold, so it was more of a vacation than a camp. :)