Worthwhile to hire a guide?

Bud

When you go to a new place to fish that you have never been to before, do you think it's worthwhile to hire a guide or do you prefer to do your best to size things up yourself?

Sophia

I've never thought to hire a fishing guide - I think if you know how to fish, you just have to take your chances on whether or not the fish are biting.

Joe S.

I have done it on occasion. Particularly for large lakes that I have never been to before. There are so many things about where the fish like to feed in a big lake that you just can't really figure out in a week.

Barney

I would only hire a guide to show me the way and in especially severe conditions like hiking on a glacier, but for simple fishing no.

hunter44mag

It depends, if you are traveling, hiring a guide with a boat is sometimes cheaper than renting everything yourself. Also, fish habits are different in different parts of the country. When I travel, I am catch and release. In this case, catching is the enjoyment. With a guide, it could be the difference between enjoying the day or not.