Camping Safety

Archer

Admittedly, I have done limited camping on campgrounds. I've mostly camped on private property, and have only had a few experiences now that I think about it. I've seen campgrounds and get the idea of how they are set up - but do you feel safe spending nights in such close proximity with strangers? How do you keep your belongings and families safe, not just from the outdoors, but from possible human threats as well? Can it be done without coming across as "unfriendly?"

Campy

I've thought about this too.
My belongings are locked up in the van, things like: cash, credit cards etc.
My family:
I don't think it is being "unfriendly" to be smart, Be aware of your surroundings, just like you would anywhere else, in this day and age we can never be too careful. Although you are camping near others, they are still "strangers" and our kids know this. They are polite but still keep a safe distance. Our eyes are on our kids at all times. Older kids who want to explore never go too far and never alone. Most campgrounds have a site where a "camp Host" stays, find out where that site is and if something were to happen you have quick help if you should need it. Also, if you see something you think is suspicious tell a park ranger. It can be scary to think, that at night, the only thing between you and the outside is a zipper.

Uber

It can be scary to think, that at night, the only thing between you and the outside is a zipper.
That is scary! I really have to stop and think about this sometimes when I am out camping; I'm naturally very friendly and I enjoy greeting, talking to, and getting to know the other camping families around me. I've made quite a few friends this way! However, I do need to remember that encouraging children to do the same isn't necessarily the safest thing around strangers.

How unfortunate that we have to worry about our own fellow people. :(

Archer

How unfortunate that we have to worry about our own fellow people. :(
My point exactly! I'd love to be as trusting as you and be able to easily befriend all those around me, but perhaps I've just been to jaded by bad experiences to let it get past a certain point. Even close friends have surprised me - it's hard to trust strangers after that!

failghe

I guess I have been lucky. Never left cash or wallet at campsite in plain view but always felt when camping there is a "unspoken camp code" that you don't touch other persons stuff. However I always leave the radio, camp stove, and stuff like that out and so far no problems. But you always have to worry about what if? Then that takes on way too much stess for me.

jason

fear no beer
I wonder about that too. Also with leaving my car when going on hikes or rides. I've heard a few horror stories of vehicles getting broken into while a person was hiking, riding, paddling.

If camping I leave my wallet hidden in my vehicle or on my person at all times. I take down any wires for things like cell phone, gps, or any thing else that makes someone think there is something valuable in the car.

Archer

I've heard a few horror stories of vehicles getting broken into while a person was hiking, riding, paddling.
That's the kind of stuff that makes me nervous. I feel like people in the area would know that a campground would mean lots of valuables for easy pickings if a family left their RV or campsite for a hike. I guess it's a matter of packing smart and only bringing valuables you are willing to carry!