Favorite Recipe

sarahlorrain

Easiest foods?

What foods do you find are easiest to bring when camping? Do you prefer foods that don't require cooking, or those that do? Foods that have to stay cold, or those that don't?

HereToday

On the first night of camping, my family always demands baked beans and vegi-dogs. We call our vegetarian version weens and beanies.:D I usually bring a garlic bread loaf (the kind in the foil packages you can put right over the embers.
One item that is good anytime, especially when hiking or swimming and you get the major munchies, is peanuts and raisins. I've taken to using a pound each in a large baggie. We take about five big baggies for camping to make sure they're is enough!

sarahlorrain

Trail mix is always great; it definately keeps your energy up! My kids love having hot dogs; it's such a classic food for camping. I always bring dried fruit too; pineapple and cranberries are my favorites.

Kitten

Hot dogs and marshmallows are an absolute must. Smores are a nice perk, too.

tater03

We have this dessert where you pull one piece of a banana peel back, scoop out some banana (like a boat would be) then you add little marshmallow and chocolate chips lay peel back over and wrap in foil and put it on fire for a couple of minutes.

HereToday

Tater, that sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!!!! I am wondering if they can be made on a cast-iron grill at home? Have you tried making them that way?
Does this wonderful treat have a name?

chocoguy

I like to bring some hotdogs, barbeque and marshmallows but I wouldn’t call it as recipe since I’m not preparing them. It is already prepared the moment I go on camping.

fbird

anything cooked over the fire, steak chicken, pork or burgers, simple easy no pots or pans to clean.

sarahlorrain

I agree that the easiest foods to prepare with the least mess are the best! When camping as children, we always had sandwiches for lunch and dinner.

HereToday

Keepin' it simple

Sarah, you hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. Keep it easy, quick to fix and as little mess as possible to clean up and the great outdoors will add a special seasoning to the simplest fare!

nawza07

Marinade 2 lbs cubed venison steaks in a mix of soy sauce and teriyaki for 36 hours. For alternative 1/2 lb. ground beef, chopped onion and chopped potatoes then Mix and wrap in aluminum foil. Put onto hot coals, turning occasionally. Very easy you can try this.

ahmedabad

I like to prepare those foods which is very easily made by a person with quick time.
I like to prepare simple Bread and Butter which is very easy to prepare and eat easily.
No cooking experience is required for it.

sony

The best food while camping is the food which has less mess while cooking. I prefer hotdogs and sandwich. And hotdogs are classic food for camping.

Thomas

Marinated Eggplant:)

Ingredients:
1/4 c Tamari
2 tb Loosely packed cilantro
1 tb Rice wine vinegar
1 ts Toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 Med. cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
3/8 oz Peeled fresh ginger (1 X 1/4 piece cut Crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
4 md Sized (2 oz. each) Chinese eggplants

Direction:
Combine all ingredients EXCEPT EGGPLANT in a blender
or processor. Process until smooth. Prick the eggplants several times with a fork and pull off the leaves. Cut in half lengthwise. On the open side of
each half make three deep diagonal slashes in each direction. Place eggplants skin side down in a 13x9x2 oval dish.

Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the marinade over each eggplant half. Rub into flesh so that it runs into the cuts. Turn eggplants skin side up. Pour remaining
marinade into the dish. Let stand 45 minutes.

Turn eggplants skin side down. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap. Cook at high power for 10 minutes. Prick plastic to release steam. Remove,
uncover, spoon sauce over eggplants. Serve as side dish. Recommended with grilled fish steak or chicken breast.

JohnyWalker2000

Zippy Cheese Artichoke Oven Omelet

This delicious oven-baked omelet can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup picante sauce or salsa (hot or mild)
1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 cup (1-ounce) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup (4-ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup (4-ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
6 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
Tomato wedges (optional)
Parsley sprigs (optional)
Intructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Butter a 10-inch quiche dish. Spread the picante sauce on the bottom. Distribute the chopped artichokes evenly over the picante sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the artichokes. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
3. Blend the eggs in a blender until smooth. Add the sour cream to the eggs and blend until mixed. Pour the egg mixture over the cheeses.
4. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until set.
5. Cut into wedges and serve garnished with tomato wedges and parsley.

Makes 6 servings . Good Appetite !

shaan

my fav dish is pani puri and the recipe is as follows
Puri
1/2 cup Fine Semolina (Rava)
1/2 tbsp Plain Flour (Maida)
3 tbsp Clubsoda
Salt to taste
Pani
1 1/2 cups Chopped Mint Leaves
1 tbsp Garam Masala
1/3 cup Red Chili Powder
1 inch Coriander (dhania) Powder
4-5 Crushed coriander seeds
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt to taste
Filling
2 Mashed potatoes with salt to taste
1 cup Boiled garbanzo beans

steven

ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SALAD

2 cans cannellini or white beans
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
1/4 teaspoon dry oregano (or use fresh if available)
pinch of hot red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup green or red wine vinegar peppers, chopped (optional)

Combine all ingredients (except beans and vinegar peppers) in a blender and process for 60 seconds.
Drain beans, leaving 2-3 tablespoons of liquid from can; stir in chopped vinegar peppers. Transfer to a non-metallic bowl and cover. Marinate, refrigerated for several hours until serving.

Serve at room temperature.

richy

CHICKEN PICCATTA

4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup butter
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-4 tbsp red wine (not the usual white for this recipe)
3 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
3-4 tbsp capers or to taste
2 lemons sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup fresh parsley (optional)
1 box of UNCLE BEN'S® long grain and wild rice

Place halved chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap and pound until thin (1/2").

Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet until bubbling. This recipe works best in a non-stick pan.

Combine flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in plastic bag. Rinse chicken breasts in water and toss them in the bag of flour one at a time. Coat well.

Sauté chicken breasts, a few at time about 2-3 minutes on each side. It is important to keep the pan quite hot to avoid the chicken from getting too greasy. DO NOT OVERCOOK!

Place chicken breasts on a paper-towel covered plate and keep warm. Stir in red wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits (bits you wouldn't have if you used a non-stick pan). Allow to reduce a bit.

Add lemon juice, lemon pieces and capers with juice and let cook until lemon pieces soften a bit. Return chicken to skillet and toss (as well as you can) to coat chicken in sauce.

I usually use more capers and lemon juice than is called for in this recipe, but I find when this dish is served with UNCLE BEN'S® Long Grain and Wild Rice the tart flavor of the Chicken Picatta and the mellow taste of the rice combine beautifully.

This dish reheats very well, so I always make enough for left-overs.

tpk

White Bean Tuna Salad
Ingredients

* 2 (6-ounce) cans dark meat tuna, packed in olive oil
* 2 (15-ounce) cans cannelini white beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/3 cup small capers, nonpareil in brine, drained and rinsed
* 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
* 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
* 2 cups fresh arugula
* 6 fresh basil leaves

In a large bowl, add the tuna, reserving the olive oil in a separate small bowl. Break tuna into bite-size pieces with a large fork. Add the beans and capers. Into the bowl of olive oil, add the red wine vinegar. You should have 1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil - add more extra-virgin olive oil if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing on the tuna, bean and caper mixture and allow the flavors to infuse while slicing the vegetables. Add the onion and tomatoes to tuna mixture and toss gently.

Place the arugula on large decorative platter and top with tuna mixture. Tear fresh basil leaves over the top and serve immediately.