Stories?

calanta

I remember hearing tons of scary stories growing up, mostly from my older siblings. :D I also remember them telling me these types of stories after we watched scary movies but thats another story. :)

What types of "home made" stories have you heard in your camping times?

Sierra

When I was in high school I spent one Halloween night around a campfire in the woods with some friends. Somebody told a story about the 4 elements visiting some campers and if a task wasn't completed the elements would reign down their terror on the campers. *sigh* It was too long ago for me to remember the way the story went, but I can tell you the story teller scared the you-know-what out of us, lol. The atmosphere of a campfire can really escalate the scary factor of a story that would probably otherwise be silly.

greengrass

I remember the days of scary stories too. The man with the hook for a hand. The ghost who haunted only blonde hair kids. The monster who chomped off your toes and fingers. Oh, those were the simpler days of life.

I think if I told this kind of story to my kids they'd never sleep in their own beds again.

justontime

We didn't tell scary stories when camping, but my school was in some very old buildings that were once large houses. Our cloakrooms were in what must have been the servants quarters or cellars and there were lots of scary stories about ghosts. It was quite frightening at times.

HereToday

I remember the days of scary stories too. The man with the hook for a hand. The ghost who haunted only blonde hair kids. The monster who chomped off your toes and fingers. Oh, those were the simpler days of life.

I think if I told this kind of story to my kids they'd never sleep in their own beds again.
Oh gawd, I remember the story of the man with the hook. I even remembered that one before I read greengrass' post. The hook story haunted me until I went to a slumber party and EVERY girl had a different version of the hook story, so I was comforted and put it in the "urban legend" bin.

looey

My spouses mother used to tell him a story (that her mother told her and siblings) about the old witch that if your feet hung over your bedside, she would come and snatch your toes (still freaks him, and his aunt out to this day).

I know when we were growing up there was a crazy story about a local church that had some freaky statue in it, seems the high school kids were always "dared" go spend the night next to her statue.