The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

just walked in from a week long camping trip at our local state park. Was cold and miserable but we had fun riding around the park and such it did dry up the last 3 days and we were able to enjoy a fire.

Cappy

Easy to catch this time of the year bite on almost anything just head for brackish water and give em a try very good and versatile fish

Roybrew

Oh the red fish were a blast to catch and great fighters. We would fish on the little manitee river, I think. Most were around 18 inches long, I'd reel one in and announce to dad I got one, but to small according to regulations. He would reply "hmmph ain't no game warden around here in this retirement community, so there ain't no size limit". He would take it back to the camper and clean it out. They are good eaten.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Simplify

Hello all. It has been a while since I have posted. The company I worked for in AZ closed and I decided to move back to New England. Unfortunately I have to say that it was not a good move on my part. I had been gone for over six years and I moved back. Some of my old friends are still around but it has been difficult to re-connect with them because I have been gone for so long and their lives have changed. I guess the lesson I have learned is that you cannot move back after several years and just pick up where you left off. It is difficult to do that.

I will be moving back to AZ this coming summer and am looking forward to it.

Roybrew

Welcome back simplify, it has been awhile. What do you choose AZ over New England? Just curious is all.

Simplify

I have good friends there and I like the desert scenery for hiking and bicycling. AZ has two ecosystems, desert in the south and forest and four seasons in the north. If people want a break from the heat they can go to Flagstaff or Prescott.

Roybrew

We finally got a little snow here. Maybe an inch or so. Some of the roads were treacherous last night and this morning due to the ice. To cold outside for me, so I have been working on my new canoe seat. Got the artificial (plastic) cane last week, and started weaving with the help of a canoe building book. Of course I had to take ice cream break. The strands aren't really flat there is a rounded side and a flat underside, so it is easy to get the strands twisted, or up side down. I've had to go back and redo some spots. I'll post more as I progress.

Roybrew

Finished except installing it in my canoe, oh and maybe make a back rest soon.

Cappy

Ohh wow its coming along real nice Roy thanks for the update just poured me a few ounces of ssippin whisky and set in to check on my forums thanks for the update

Roybrew

Thank you for the compliment Cappy. Been to cold out for anything else. I need to fit it in the canoe, and make a back rest for it. Then I'm going to make 2 more for my big canoe. Something to do when I'm not camping, and I enjoyed it.

Cappy

It's great ya have stuff like that to do when the weather is crappy. Mostly I just read and write the mold control crew should finish up today its one of the bad things about livin in the steamy south. The humidity got away from us when we went on our trip up north the Ac made water in the attic and it got moldy and mildewy. These guys replaced drywall cleaned duct work and painted some mold retardant here and there. The final step tonight Is to take all the oxygen out of the house and sterilize it then it should be back to normal. me and Peg were giggling over coffee we were saying how we cant wait for them to finish fixing the house so we can go camping.

jason

fear no beer
It's great ya have stuff like that to do when the weather is crappy. Mostly I just read and write the mold control crew should finish up today its one of the bad things about livin in the steamy south. The humidity got away from us when we went on our trip up north the Ac made water in the attic and it got moldy and mildewy. These guys replaced drywall cleaned duct work and painted some mold retardant here and there. The final step tonight Is to take all the oxygen out of the house and sterilize it then it should be back to normal. me and Peg were giggling over coffee we were saying how we cant wait for them to finish fixing the house so we can go camping.
Not sure if it will help or not, but I used this stuff before http://amzn.to/2GaT90P
Concrobium Mold Control. I rented a fogger from home depot and fogged the house. You can do just the attic if needed, but I had the ceiling down in spots anyway so I just did the whole house.

I learned in my research not to use bleach.

jason

fear no beer
Took the family to the Brooksville Raid this weekend. It is a civil war reenactment they put on one weekend a year. They have a few sutler shops setup, they put on a short artillery demonstration, a battle reenactment and you can walk the camp area. I think James had the best time. He was asking a lot of questions to the reenactors as we walked the camps. All were more then happy to answer his questions. I have to admit that is my favorite part too, walking the camps. Took some videos, they are not the best, but if anyone is interested I'll see if I can post them. He also loved the way they were cooking their food over the fire, so even though we got home late I broke out our campfire stuff and cooked some chicken legs and beans.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of getting a tooth pulled thanks to a cracked root. So my wife is making me take it easy today.

Attachments

Simplify

That is a really neat project you are working on. Have you ever read 'The Survival of the Birch Bark Canoe'?

Roybrew

Cappy, I've never been to Louisiana, but I've been to Florida around october. I always thought it was humid here, but it just doesn't compare to the humidity y'all have further south. I slept in the back of my brothers pick up. The humidity was miserable! Every thing was damp.

Jason, I sat and watched TV while doing the weaving. Took maybe 10 hours over most of the week, a few hours here and there. I had to stop and re-read the book instructions, and also spent a couple of hours re-doing what I messed up the day before.
We used to go to some civil war reenactments. It's a blast like you said. There was one where they hung 2 bridge burners. True incident here in east TN. They were burning some R&R bridges. What was funny was, my wife found out one of them was her great grandparents brother. Oh the stain on her family tree.

Simplify, I've enjoyed it. That little ole 13 footer is my toy. I have not read that book. Maybe I should. Something to do when I'm not camping and cold out.

I went to fit it in my canoe, and paused. Going to remove the plastic strips on top of gunwale and replace them with wood. Another project. Fun fun.

Roybrew

Gave my little project a few hours of attention today. I ripped some 3/4" strips out of a 2 x 6. Planed one them down to 1/2" thick and checked to see how it was going to be.... ooh I didn't think or anticipate the "dip curve" from bow to stearn. Maybe plane the pieces to 3/8 thick, and I think I can work it??? Getting late going to give it a rest.

Glad ya home Cappy.

jason

fear no beer
Gave my little project a few hours of attention today. I ripped some 3/4" strips out of a 2 x 6. Planed one them down to 1/2" thick and checked to see how it was going to be.... ooh I didn't think or anticipate the "dip curve" from bow to stearn. Maybe plane the pieces to 3/8 thick, and I think I can work it??? Getting late going to give it a rest.
Boy do I wish I had your skills. That is going to be a thing of beauty. Although I am a bit surprised you have not decided to build your own from scratch.