700 miles

TakeAHike

We had to go to Ohio this weekend for business and we drove 700 miles round trip in a 2 day span. Add some meetings in between and it made for a very busy couple of days. I am glad to be home.

wvbreamfisherman

700 miles in two days I'd consider taking it easy. I don't think of anything under 1000 miles in a day as a long drive. If at all possible I'll drive rather than fly.

Grandpa

The ideas of miles varies greatly with people. 700 miles is a very long trip for some, but for others, routine. In my area, we drive 100-150 miles round trip to get to a wally world or a McD's. It's a 180 mile round trip to see my doctor. We drive 110 miles round trip to get to the bowling alley. But I asked a fellow bowler who lived there if he was going to the State tournaments, 60 miles away and he about had a fit. Drive all the way over there just to bowl? It was beyond his immagination to go that far. 700 miles is a long trip if you are not used to it, a short hop if you are. Grandson came home to see the family this past weekend. The guy he was to ride back with changed his mind and didn't go so his sister and mom took him back, 1200 miles round trip. He could have flown except it is 150 miles to the nearest airport and another 80 from his arrival port to home. I agree with Takeahike though. 350 miles, then do a bunch of business makes for a long day, then repeat it again the next day and it is really a long day.

Oh, as an after thought, some of the kids that go to our tiny high school ride a bus over 50 miles each way every day.

wvbreamfisherman

Heck even here in WV kids in some of the rural counties with a consolidated school do 50 miles each way (although that's probably about the max).

I agree that different people see mileage differently- my wife hates driving more than 3-4 hours at a time. 10-12 hours doesn't bother me much.

Grandpa

It is also different out here in the west with our big, open highways and 75 or 80 mph limits too. Travel 75 mph up I 15 and people are passing saying, "get your foot off the brake".

wvbreamfisherman

It is also different out here in the west with our big, open highways and 75 or 80 mph limits too. Travel 75 mph up I 15 and people are passing saying, "get your foot off the brake".
Yeah- WV is pretty mountainous and the roads tend to be steep and curvy especially in the southern coalfields. On those roads you'd be lucky to average 45-50 mph. Interstates can be driven at 70, but there is lot of up and down, which can be pretty tiring if you're not used to it.

carmen

I am a great navigator but I hate driving that far myself now. We would rather trade off if we can, it helps to keep the good ole blood moving alone nicely too. What part of WV are you in? I spent some time there years ago.

wvbreamfisherman

I am a great navigator but I hate driving that far myself now. We would rather trade off if we can, it helps to keep the good ole blood moving alone nicely too. What part of WV are you in? I spent some time there years ago.
Just west of Charleston off I-64. Born and raised here.

CozInCowtown

I remember when the Wyoming speed limit was "Safe and Prudent".
No set number, just as long as you could keep it between the ditches!!

TakeAHike

To put it more in perspective, it wasn't technically a full 2 days. We had a birthday party Sunday afternoon so we left Michigan at 5 PM. Then we arrived at our destination around 10:30 PM. We had to visit a manufacturer as soon as we got there and check in. We arrived back at the hotel at 1 AM and slept until 8 AM when we went back to the manufacturer and had meetings until 4 PM when we headed back to Michigan. So technically it was only about 24 hours.