A Tent Heater?

Dodger

Someone mentioned that there are tent heaters you can buy. Are those really safe? I could see myself catching everything on fire. :tinysmile_hmm_t: Are they very expensive?

Lightfoot

They do sound kind of dangerous, but maybe if you use it properly. I would be more concerned with carbon monoxide poisoning that with setting things on fire.

campclose

Wow, I've never heard of a tent camper and I'm sure I would never try one either. I've used a fan in the tent before but that is not heat. What was it called? I'd be curious to find out more about it.

HillbillyMama

Yes, there is such thing and they are worth every penny they cost and they are safe too. Sears has them for around $150 for a good one by Coleman.

We prefer these and they are cheaper but not as high tech I guess. I think these are around just $50.

Chump

A buddy of mine has a ProCat (I didn't know they were that expensive) and he loves it. I have always poked fun at him because "real men don't need heaters when they camp".

tentwolfette

I have a coleman tent heater I think we paid 50.00 for it. It runs on the same fuel you use in the camp stoves. It is very safe. The last camp trip we made before the upstate NY winter. Was on Peekamoose mountain and we took 2 dogs with us.Never had an issue Left it on all night. Ours last 7 hours non stop it was great.

Dodger

Oh those look harmless. I don't know why but I instantly pictured flames flying out from some type of Coleman fuel, not something that compact and no flame.

GPER

I have the Mr Buddy heater it is propane and has an oxygen censor that cuts it off. Zodi also makes one that blows warm air into the tent like a furnace. The best one I had was a kerosene heater but I stayed awake most of the night watching it. My daughter stayed warm and toasty and slept like a log.

failghe

Great topic. I have been thinking about getting a small tent heater also to extend the camping season. But I could not remember if it was propane or kerosene that gave me headaches? So I was thinking electric as the girlfriend will only camp if we get electric at site.

savannah

Rather than buying a tent heater, why not invest in a high quality sleeping bag? That will keep you cosy and warm on the chilliest of evenings. You'll be glad of it on the inevitable night when your little tent heater runs out of power. You don't need to worry about headaches either.

frank6160

I have used the Coleman fuel type and Mr Buddy. Be sure to allow for some ventilation if you use the Coleman fuel type!!!