Air Rifles

Simplify

Does anyone here like shooting air rifles? I own a dual caliber .177 and .22 and a 9mm PCP air rifle.

They are fun to shoot and in AZ it is legal to hunt with them.

Air rifles may not have the range of conventional firearms but some of the positive points are cheaper, more compact ammunition and no shortage of it, at least yet, and no worries about moisture getting into the ammo.

The 9mm can penetrate 2 inch hardwood and in these days of ammo shortages and skyrocketing prices air rifles, at least to me, are a good alternative.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
I have an Air Arms S410 XTRA FAC (PCP) 5.5mm (.22) cal. with a Webley "Zero Option" 6-24 x 50 Field Target Scope that I bought from Pyramyd Air in 2004. I typically put about 1200 Diabolo Exact (15.9 gr) pellets through it a year on a 20m range in my back yard.

With this pellet it is right at 1000 fps. It will easily dispatch prairie dogs at 50yds. with a solid head shot.

Great way to get trigger time, and since it is sub sonic and has a shrouded barrel, it makes less noise than a pneumatic brad nailer.

Last edited:

Simplify

I love my Beeman RS2. Very accurate and plenty of power out to 50 yards and, with the shortage of conventional .22 ammo, is a great alternative.

I have not found .22 caliber conventional ammo on the shelves anywhere.

Grandpa

I love my Beeman RS2. Very accurate and plenty of power out to 50 yards and, with the shortage of conventional .22 ammo, is a great alternative.

I have not found .22 caliber conventional ammo on the shelves anywhere.[/QUOTE

Check with your local Wal-Mart and other ammo retailers. Find out what day and what time they receive shipments. They are receiving lots of .22's but scalpers and hoarders are grabbing it. be there at the right time and you can buy it.

In the mean time, I agree. Air rifles are a wonderful substitute.

Last edited:

Simplify

I will check with the wal-mart. I know Cabelas here makes people get in a special line and take numbers when the .22 shipment arrives.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I have a BB/.177 pump air rifle which I don't use very much. I pumped it up with two or three pumps a few years ago, then pretty much forgot about it. Tried it out recently and was a bit surprised to find out that it still had plenty...if not all...of the power left...!!

It's great for small game. Also for (using just one 'pump') harmlessly chasing felines out from under and around my bird feeders..!! (Don't hit them often...they're usually running REAL fast by the time I get outside).

Simplify

My .357 caliber Korean Shin Sung air rifle can take mid-sized game and deer with a well placed shot. It is very powerful.

The owners of the shop where I bought it have hunted in Africa with them before

Pathfinder1

I had an old Crosman pump that shot BB's or pellets. At 20 yards or so using a pellet, it was easily capable of decapitating a pigeon or starling with a good hit.

Air rifles are capable of taking big game. Lewis and Clark took game as large as elk with one. Girandoni Air Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi...

And the Indians who wittnessed the shooting of this gun were duly amazed. That gun is believed to have prevented many potential occurrences with the Indians which might otherwise have not been so 'peaceful' toward those Whites...!!

AK Hunter

I have used air rifles on rabbits & squirrels in my garden, but I wouldn't try them on anything bigger than that.