Another goes over the falls in Yosemite

bsmit212

First, thank god and please god keep safe the rangers/volunters who perform these SARs activties.

The article said he was swimming and that rangers had advise extrem caution around water in the park, but does anyone know if swimming is allowed at this location or was he ignoring the sings?

bsmit212

They said in the article that:

Officials urged “extreme caution” around water in the park, saying rivers were running at high levels with low temperatures.

I know some stories from last year where people actually jumped the fence near a falls and ignored signs to get a picture closure to the falls. They were just plain stupid for ignoring safty mesaures set up by the park.

However if he is allowed to be swimming there and just got over taken by the water, while still not the smartest for not condering all the factors, I would not call him a complete moron.

Diver97

They said in the article that:

Officials urged “extreme caution” around water in the park, saying rivers were running at high levels with low temperatures.

I know some stories from last year where people actually jumped the fence near a falls and ignored signs to get a picture closure to the falls. They were just plain stupid for ignoring safety mesaures set up by the park.

However if he is allowed to be swimming there and just got over taken by the water, while still not the smartest for not considering all the factors, I would not call him a complete moron.
I feel bad for his family but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Swimming in cold water with a strong current above a waterfall is just plain stupid. I don't care if it was allowed or not and it really doesn't even matter if they had warning sings up. If someone wants to leave the safety of a tour guide they need to have at least a little bit of common sense. I put people with out any common sense in the moron category.

wvbreamfisherman

People seem to have this idea that there will be signs or railings or people around to tell you not to do stupid things and to save your sorry a$$ if you do stupid things.

It's not Disneyland! It's a real, natural environment. It doesn't care one whit about you, if you do something sufficiently dumb you will be injured or killed, and I don't feel even a bit sorry for him. I feel a bit sorry for his family, but they have to take partial responsibility for not teaching him better.

Just MHO, YMMV.

ppine

Forester
Our country is now full of people too stupid to know when they are in danger.

In a free country, you can be as stupid as you want. How else can you explain all of the young people that imitate movies like "Jackass?" They get hurt all the time doing stunts. Just don't ask me to pay their SAR and medical bills for being fools.

Last edited:

Sagebrusher

I feel bad for his family but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Swimming in cold water with a strong current above a waterfall is just plain stupid. I don't care if it was allowed or not and it really doesn't even matter if they had warning sings up. If someone wants to leave the safety of a tour guide they need to have at least a little bit of common sense. I put people with out any common sense in the moron category.
I don't think it is prohibited since later in the summer the flow is much reduced. There are likely warning signs and maybe fences, I know there is at Vernal Falls, which is the next lower falls on the Merced River. (3 people were killed there in 2011 and I remember seeing photos of signs and barriers)

wvbreamfisherman

Our country is now full of people too stupid to know when they are in danger.
It's a mixture of stupidity and ignorance. Kids are raised on crap like "Bambi" and internalize the idea of benevolent nature and animals with human feelings.

Their parents coddle them and wrap them in cotton wool and make sure they never get a chance to learn about the real world. They are told from the time they can listen that they are special, unique and precious.

The schools spend time puffing up their self-esteem at the expense of challenging them. They are raised to think that getting your hands dirty with actual work is a bad thing.

They have no idea how a car, an air conditioner, or a vacuum cleaner works, and even less idea how to fix one- and they are taught to look down on those that do.

They think that meat just appears in stores neatly wrapped, and recoil in horror at the idea that a real live animal had to be killed to produce it.

They are ignorant and worse, filled with wrong ideas, and they are too lazy and incurious to learn different.

They go to a national park, and they treat it as a slightly more primitive version of Disneyland. They think that railings and signs and rangers are all about to protect them. They swim in cold fast moving water above 500 foot waterfalls, they feed bears and walk off trails in broken country.

They start to ascend 10,000+ foot mountains in sandals and shorts, with no food or water and no plan to follow if anything goes wrong, except to call for help on their cell phone.

I don't know what the solution is except to let Darwin sort them out.

</rant mode-off>

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
First, thank god and please god keep safe the rangers/volunters who perform these SARs activties.

The article said he was swimming and that rangers had advised extreme caution around water in the park, but does anyone know if swimming is allowed at this location or was he ignoring the signs?
I would "Thank God" if the current had lessened enough for him to swim to shore. After all, he was with a church group, you would have thought he had an "in" with Him.

In places like Yosemite, you are pretty much on your own. They don't prohibit swimming, they don't put up bars everywhere just because there is a cliff, and they don't fence in the bears. It's not a theme park or a zoo, it's nature. If you're dumb enough to swim at the top of a 600 foot falls, Darwin wrote a book about you. I was in the woods over the weekend. There is an overlook next to a 200 foot sheer drop. No rails, no fence. If you want to cheerfully walk to your death getting a better view, go right ahead. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I went, just because I'm like everyone else, used to protections and rails and warning signs. But now I know better... "Hey doofus, you're in the woods. Watch out for yourself!"

cabinfever

After all, he was with a church group, you would have thought he had an "in" with Him.
Perhaps he did have an 'in' with Him. He just wanted the guy to come up and have coffee. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I'm sorry, but I have little sympathy for people who fail to use even a modicum of common sense. I feel bad for his family, but then again, they probably knew he wasn't too swift and expected something like this to happen someday.