Anti-hunting

dhoyle

I am not sure if it's just me or not but I seem to be running across an awful lot of people who are completely against hunting lately. It's not like these people are vegetarians or anything so I am really getting tired of the whole how can you kill an innocent aninmal argument. Especially considering that I live in Georgia and there are more deer than people here!
One problem is to many city dwellers who only idea of what goes on in the wild is from the Disney film "Bambie" which as we know is a lot of tripe. They don't realize that Flower and family would love for Thumper to come to dinner as the main course.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I saw an interesting post on another site about "innocent animals". Check worldhuntfish.proboards.com. Some guy who calls himself Oliver Cromwell has a post in Off Topic called "innocent animals".

Last edited:

le Metis

It's always curious for me that those who are against hunting have no problem buying meat at their local supermarket....suggest they visit a feed lot and packing house as the meat they eat is full of fear...

Jayrod

Its not just antis and vegetarians condeming those who kill their own meat for consumption while standing in the checkout line with a grocery cart full of Beef, Bacon, pork chops etc...but consider the leather shoes, Boots, Car seats, Belts, even baseball gloves that they are willing to wear and use...knowing that the leather was not donated by an animal but removed as a by product of the animals death....to me they are the definition of hypocrites.

Consider Georgia...Deer Population roughly 1.2 million deer half bucks and half does...hunters will typically remove 320,000 from the herd each year...this does not include an average of approx 161 deer/car collisions each DAY in which the deer is killed...which adds up to another roughly 60,000 deer deaths, leaving 820,000 after deer season each year, of which approx. 450000 is does. Of these remaining does approx 300,000 will have fawns...half of those having fawns will have twins...surprise...450,000 new deer entering the existing herd...the deer population going into the next hunting season is roughly the same as the previous year ...1.2 million deer. What a wonderful renewable resource!!!!!

Now consider the deer population without hunting in five years...how many deer/car collisions would there be then...

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Interesting math there, Jayrod. Of course some deer die of old age but those are easily covered by invaders from neighboring states who come in to eat your peaches.

Grandpa

I wonder if these anti hunters set mouse traps, and if they do, what do they do with the mouse.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Grandpa, that's easy. They catch the mice in live traps then drive them out to the country and set them loose in a meadow saying "Be free!" And, of course, the mice are immediately set upon by a bird of prey.

shaun

They are fine with eating meat which has been killed for them, wrapped in plastic and sold in the supermarket but they oppose hunting. I blame this on ignorance, they don't understand hunting and they fear what they don't know.

ppine

Forester
The population of the US is becoming increasingly urban and disconnected from food production. Many people can't handle a mouse or a spider much less a deer carcass. Nearly every state has laws against wasting meat. People that did not grow up with hunting are at a disadvantage and will never know what it is like to be part of the food chain. It is interesting that we have three different threads on the forum today talking about hunting, gathering and foraging. It is the time of year when outdoor people think about finding some food before winter.

I watched a hunting show last night with Randy Newburg "On Your Own Adventures." They were hunting wolves in Madison Valley, MT. As a lover of dogs it was more emotional than I expected to see a dead wolf. My rational brain overcame the emotion, and I think I could shoot a wolf, but it took an internal conversation to get there.

Last edited:

plsargent

I still love a bumper sticker I once saw that this thread reminds me of. " vegetarian old Indian name for bad hunter". I don't come across to many who don't hunt, but I do live in the country where most people hunt for their meat for a year.

At least with hunting the meat is healthier and not full of crap.

Hikenhunter

Game Management is the reason for hunting seasons and bag limits. Getting some wild meat to eat is a byproduct of that game management. Truth be told many of the game animals we hunt have seen great increases in their populations because of game management. I hunt because I like the thrill of the hunt, I hunt because it gives me one more way to enjoy the outdoors,I hunt because it makes me feel good knowing that I am part of a brotherhood/sisterhood that understands that we are stewards of our natural resources and that our stewardship provides the neccesary elements our planet needs to survive. Anyone who disagrees is misinformed and I won't waste my time (usually) arguing with these anti hunters who are completly unimformed about how our sport actually is a neccesary part of the management of ALL our natural resources.

ppine

Forester
Saturday night we were at a 70th birthday party for a friend in the Valley. Paul Zarsyski the famous cowboy poet flew in from Great Falls and did an inspired performance. My partner Cindy was also great especially teamed up with our friend Ken doing "Annie Laurie."

Later I asked Paul if he was going hunting this year. He wasn't sure. We have started an email conversation about the self-awareness that can be generated by the process of hunting, and how emotional it can be. Keep an eye out for "Wolf Tracks on the Welcome Mat". a book of poems that describes hunting by Paul. I will keep you posted on some good quotes.