Are You Ever Afraid To Tent?

bsmit212

Let me expand my statement. Like Harmony and Pondrosa said. There have been a few times I were there were some other people in the area that made me nervous. People are way more dangerous than animals more often than not.

ChadTower

When I was a kid my grandfather used to have me build lean-tos and sleep outside on our property. Growing up in the backwoods that was a necessary skill just in case one ever really got lost. I was scared the first couple of times until my uncle told me that I was the scariest thing in those woods. You don't need to be scared of the boogey man if you are the boogey man.

You're the intruder in their woods. You are the scary one.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Regarding the Portaledges...yes I know that wall climbers sometimes use them. The way they were portrayed on the web site leaves me with the impression that someone else has to let the system down from the trees.

With MY OWN belaying system attached...I think that they would be great to camp with. Now, if only someone gave me one to try out...!!

ppine

Forester
I have been awaked many times by loud noises that turned out to be racoons, deer, cows, horses and mules. I have also been awakened by many bears sometimes at close range. I still wake up to see which animals are doing the noise making.

edit- I have left campsites many times because I didn't like the neighbors. Once my new wife and I threw everything in our 1965 VW bus and drove for an hour and a half before we contemplated stopping. Two drunk guys in an umbrella tent were the only other people in the whole campground and they had been drunk for days.

Last edited:

beckya

Sometimes when I tent, I can hear every little sound. I can hear coyotes off in the distance and twigs crackling. I have one eye opened all night long. I worry about a wild animal approaching the tent and trying to get in. Are you ever afraid to camp in a tent and what do you do to calm your fears?
Isn't that part of the appeal? If it gets to bad, just stick your ipod in your ears and get a good night's rest.

Judy Ann

My dog gives me much comfort on our adventures. I don't think that I could sleep as restfully in the woods without her nearby unless there were other backpackers that I knew in close proximity.

Grandpa

My dog gives me much comfort on our adventures. I don't think that I could sleep as restfully in the woods without her nearby unless there were other backpackers that I knew in close proximity.
I get less sleep when tank is along. But I do have better peace of mind when he is with. His snoring scares every wild critter for 5 miles, unfortunately, it is also loud enough to keep me awake.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Judy Ann

I get less sleep when tank is along. But I do have better peace of mind when he is with. His snoring scares every wild critter for 5 miles, unfortunately, it is also loud enough to keep me awake.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
LoL! I heard ONCE that there were two snoring sounds from my tent...me and my Abby...she is a ventriliquist!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

briansnat

Platnium Member
I admit that noises keep me up wondering what is out there. At night a beetle sounds like a mouse, a mouse sounds like a squirrel, a squirrel sounds like a raccoon and a raccoon sounds like a bear or a person.

It's not really a fear, more of a concern. I find I sleep a lot better near a stream where the sound of water drowns out all of the little sounds.

Now where I have a real fear is thunderstorms. Not a good thing for an avid camper and backpacker. If there is a hint of thunderstorms in the area I chose the campsite based on lightning safety. I'll pass up that gorgeous site on an expose point of a lake or at the great view on the ridge. One of the nicest designated campsites in the Adirondack wilderness is along the Oswegatchie River called High Rocks. I won't camp there despite the gorgeous site and view. The idea of camping at the highest point for a half mile in any direction is not appealing to me if there is the remotest chance of a thunderstorm. Stop there for lunch, sure, but no camping.

Island sites while paddle camping? If the forecast says chance of thunderstorms, no way.

When I turn in for the night my ears pick up any distant rumble and my eyes will open wide and my heart will start racing. Is that an approaching jet? Is it the sound of distant fireworks? Is it a thunderstorm? If it is a thunderstorm, is it passing by or headed this way? Why did I buy a tent with aluminum poles? Am I far enough from metal cook kits and stove?

If a thunderstorm does hit, I have to put on my rain gear and leave the tent. I can't sit inside it during a thunderstorm, even if it's 3 a.m. I feel a lot better if I'm out there where I feel like I'm more in control, even though deep down I know if it's my time to get hit, it's gonna happen whether I'm walking outside or sitting in the tent. You'd think that after 30 some years of backpacking and camping I'd be over it, but I ain't.

Last edited:

chuck66

Traveling
The only thing that concerns me about tenting is the vulnerability to predators of the two-legged variety. Animals for the most part are of little concern. Humans with nefarious intent, however, are the bigger reason why I sleep with the aforementioned big revolver. I'm especially in condition yellow if my kids are along. Their safety is always my number one concern.

ppine

Forester
Beckya,
Using electronic noise to drown out the wild is a dangerous practice especially backpacking. I don't recommend it during daylight hours either. Not only does it distract you from what you came to hear, it brings your culture with you and won't let you hear dangerous noises. Ie wind of a microburst, lighning, predators, etc. Be smart and keep your ears open.

SmokeyJoe

There have been times I've been jolted out of a dead sleep, but I don't know if it's because my inner being heard something, or I was having a bad dream. I try not to go camping alone, but I have, and I always have my .38 Special with me

Judy Ann

I've always been too scared to leave the dry tent during a thunder and lightening storm. I grab my dog, hold her close, pray that God and the air mattress will protect us, reach into the first aid kit for my medically prescribed mini bottle of scotch, drink said libation, and pray for everyone I know until I fall asleep. Still here! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Lorax

The only thing that scares me in a tent is windstorms, even though I place my tent around what i feel are solid trees and good stable ground.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The only time I had reason to fear, there was some noise in my camp and the dog's ears flattened out and his teeth were bared. I cut the dog loose first and there was a hell of a ruckus and some guy screaming. By the time I got out of the tent with the shotgun, the dog had torn the pants off the guy and his leg was bleeding. I called the dog off and the thief ran into the night. It was a chilly night. Sure hope he had a warm place to go and another pair of pants.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Very recently...on a major outdoor mag's website...I read a blog by someone (probably from the shallow end of the gene pool) who stated and apparently believed that ordinary wasp spray or cheap mace-type sprays would deter charging grizzlies...which someone had told him would work...!!

May his pies be made of road apples...!!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I read a blog by someone who stated and apparently believed that ordinary wasp spray or cheap mace-type sprays would deter charging grizzlies!!
Amazing! You know they say that 98% of a chimpanzee's DNA is exactly like human DNA. I'd be willing to bet that the guy who posted that blog is closer to 99%.