Backpacking Alone?

Cappy

PProlly over half of my outdoor experiance has been solo. Workig on a boat I get 2 weeks at a time off. It's hard to find folks who have the time to play with me.:tinysmile_grin_t:I have backpacked,canoed, and car cammped alone and never had a problem. When off trail or deep in the swamp ya aint likely to meet hoodlems. They aint as a rule nature fans. I feel much more at risk in a city than on the trail. The only problem I have with the AT is I can never get'dueling banjo's 'outa my head.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t In my HO the big risk is for natural injury/accidents. That risk has been greatly diminished by cell phones GPS spotters and tracckers. Be prepared, be safe, have fun and may God bless and protect ya Judy ann. Take plenty pics and please share

Newanderthal

Most bipedal predators stake out grocery store parking lots, apartment complexes, ATMs, etc.

The first step to not being a victim is to not look like one. If you look confident and capable, any predator will think twice before moving on you. They're looking for victims, not fights. Keep your head up, your shoulders back, and walk with purpose.

Wear a knife. A fixed blade knife with a 5 inch blade strapped to your hip will deter predators.

Make eye contact with other hikers, smile, and greet them. Acknowledging the presence of a person gives them the sense that you're alert and confident. It also tells them that they've already been identified which prevents any future crime from being anonymous.

Lastly, don't be afraid of anyone on the trail.

The chances that you'll have any trouble from people are very slim. The biggest problem people face on the AT when it comes to people are pickpockets. You'll sleep in a shelter with a group of strangers and wake up to find your headlamp missing or your wallet empty.

Go out and have fun.

oldsarge

Most bipedal predators stake out grocery store parking lots, apartment complexes, ATMs, etc.

The first step to not being a victim is to not look like one. If you look confident and capable, any predator will think twice before moving on you. They're looking for victims, not fights. Keep your head up, your shoulders back, and walk with purpose.

Wear a knife. A fixed blade knife with a 5 inch blade strapped to your hip will deter predators.

Make eye contact with other hikers, smile, and greet them. Acknowledging the presence of a person gives them the sense that you're alert and confident. It also tells them that they've already been identified which prevents any future crime from being anonymous.

Lastly, don't be afraid of anyone on the trail.

The chances that you'll have any trouble from people are very slim. The biggest problem people face on the AT when it comes to people are pickpockets. You'll sleep in a shelter with a group of strangers and wake up to find your headlamp missing or your wallet empty.

Go out and have fun.
Well said! One of the first lesson in self defense.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Your first sentence is exactly what was exposed in a TV program regarding Wall*Mart. That was where most of their 'adverse occurrences' happened, according to the article.

And that was only the tip of the Wall*Mart iceberg...!!

JeepThrills

I never use to worry about camping or hiking solo, but a woman got murdered on a trail near here and it really makes you think. I don't let it stop me from going out on my own, but I do keep an eye out all the time.

ppine

Forester
JudyAnn,
You are getting too much information. Just go out there and enjoy yourself. October is the perfect time.

This thread reminds me of a episode of "Two Men and a Boy" where they give advice to Jake as he is about to start Jr High School.

oldsarge

JudyAnn,This thread reminds me of a episode of "Two Men and a Boy" where they give advice to Jake as he is about to start Jr High School.
Classic episode! Jake staring out the rear bus window as it drives away.

Jack999

Don't think about all the "what if's" just go for it. If you are worried about being alone choose a well trod route where you will come across other people.

Judy Ann

I am more than a little embarrassed to say that I am a major CHICKEN. My pack is ready, the family was prepared in person earlier this week during my trip in SC, they were supportive in that they did not try to talk some reason into me, but when I read about park closures in NC because of habituated bears I was very quick to change my mind about the trip next week.

Thank you all for the encouragement...so close yet so far! Thanksgiving will be my next group trip backpacking and maybe group trips should be enough, but I really wanted to make it solo once in this lifetime. Soon maybe.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Hiking solo is about as, well more safe than driving to the hiking site. Stay on trail in a well used area and camp in well established camp sites. Carry a dog. Even a small one will help.

Judy Ann

Thanks Gunny, Even though I canceled the solo backpacking trip, my bags are packed for both car camping and backpacking. Women can be so fickle! The mountains are calling and so is the sea, but my poor pup has no clue what to be ready for tomorrow. Neither do I. ;-)

Judy Ann

As an aside, I've heard about end of trip burger feasts, but should one enjoy a Denny's type Grand Slam with two eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausages and 2 pancakes plus a little fruit before embarking on an overnight trip or two? Oatmeal packets, Via coffee and a freeze dried meal or two plus tooth paste and jerk elk should not be a problem to hang if ONE wasn't starving to death at 6pm. What do you do if you hang the goodies and you need a midnight snack? I am always hungry after a workout which might not be successful like tossing a sock full of rocks over a limb far away from my tent to keep bears from eating my next meal. :p

Grandpa

As an aside, I've heard about end of trip burger feasts, but should one enjoy a Denny's type Grand Slam with two eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausages and 2 pancakes plus a little fruit before embarking on an overnight trip or two? Oatmeal packets, Via coffee and a freeze dried meal or two plus tooth paste and jerk elk should not be a problem to hang if ONE wasn't starving to death at 6pm. What do you do if you hang the goodies and you need a midnight snack? I am always hungry after a workout which might not be successful like tossing a sock full of rocks over a limb far away from my tent to keep bears from eating my next meal. :p
A grand slam type breakfast is a good start and you'll get real good at raising and lowering the bear bag.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Just remember a little trail mix or something before bedtime to get the metabolism fired up to keep you warm.

wvbreamfisherman

I always go for the high protein/high fat breakfast. One thing we learned on the AT section hike was that we needed more trail mix for snacking on the trail. Lots of nuts,chocolate and dried fruit to keep you going. I'd recommend a handful or two of that before bedtime.

We made up our own omelettes from powdered eggs, dried cheese, dried minced onions, dried chopped sweet peppers and lots of (real) bacon bits. It still could have used more fat to get going in the mornings- I'm leaning toward adding some hard sausage to the mix, even if i have to cut it off the stick and add it in the morning.

For oatmeal, I'm looking at adding butter or margarine to it. That's kinda heavy though.

ponderosa

Hiking solo is about as, well more safe than driving to the hiking site. Stay on trail in a well used area and camp in well established camp sites. Carry a dog. Even a small one will help.
I don't know. I've always preferred a stealthy campsite when I'm alone. When solo, I'd much prefer to not share my campsite with anyone, or have anyone wander through or even notice that I'm there. YMMV.

Judy Ann

I don't know. I've always preferred a stealthy campsite when I'm alone. When solo, I'd much prefer to not share my campsite with anyone, or have anyone wander through or even notice that I'm there. YMMV.
I'm thinking that stealth camping might be best for me, but we'll see.:tinysmile_hmm_t: