Backpacking in Massachusetts

NicholasDuMonde

I'm looking for places to hike out to and camp overnight in Massachusetts, preferably a mountain. I originally looked into Mt. Wachusett, but found out that camping overnight on the mountain is not permitted, and neither is parking my car overnight (so I can't get away with just disappearing off of the path and making camp).

I want to get out this weekend, but I can't find a free place that I can park my car at, hike out, and camp! I don't want public bathrooms and showers, I don't want to pay for a dirt patch at a camp site. I want to hike, preferably to a summit, enjoy the view, find a good place to sleep, and pitch my tent.

Can anyone send me any suggestions? This weekend will just be a single overnight, but in a couple of weeks I want to spend at least 2 nights out before it starts getting to cold out for my 3-season tent!

NicholasDuMonde

Thank you for the replies, but neither really yielded the results I am looking for. Tully Trail doesn't permit camping (except at the shelter), and the campground is the opposite of what I want.

The info.com search really didn't yield any good results either. I just want to know what mountains I can park at, keep my car parked overnight, then climb it and pitch a tent without getting in trouble. I'm truly surprised this information is blatantly obvious online!

steves

Warner Trail

you would have to talk to the private landowners (if you can figure out who they are) or each separate town if in conservation areas. I have done both the tully and warner many times and never had a problem stealth camping as long as it is just overnight while thru hiking. every state/town forest or conservation commission i have talked to has allowed me to camp after meeting with them and explaining my intentions.

steves

Welcome to the Midstate Trail

have done this one as well.

I don't think you will ever find a place that says "park here and hike", you need to do a little research and let the local authorities know your plans. Any time I have made the effort to let the local cops know my plans they have been more than reasonable and even said they would keep an eye on my truck. I hate to leave a note on my dash board that tells people that i wont be around for a few days.

NicholasDuMonde

Steves, where can I find the opening to the trail on the MA/RI border? I'm going to buy the trail guide, but given I want to go camping this weekend, mailing them a check and then waiting for it to come in the mail doesn't exactly work with my current timeline!

steves

Important Please Read Carefully
Due to the adverse, snow storm related conditions in the Worcester area where our Sundays Midstate hike is scheduled, I have decided to reschedule that hike to December 11th. In its place we will do that section of the Midstate Trail from SE Main Street in Douglas Mass. south to the MA/RI border, then on to Buck Hill in Burrillvile RI
This portion of our hike from the state line to Buck hill is also Section 1 of the North –South Trail

Do not forget to turn your clocks back Saturday night or you will be a hour early
If you have not previously registered for the previously planned hike but would like to go on this new plan, please e-mail or contact at before Saturday evening.

Date: This Sunday, November 6, 2011
Distance: 7.6 miles
Difficulty: B3C
Start time: 8:00 A.M.

Directions to trailhead: You need to get to the village of Pascoag RI to start these directions.

To get to Pascoag from the southeast take I-295 into RI, take (exit 7B, Rt. 44) West connecting with Rt. 100 in Chepachet, RI. Follow 100 north into Pascoag, RI
In Pascoag at the intersection of Rt.100 and Rt.107 starts the 0.0m mileage point for the rest of the directions.

0.0m Turn left at intersection/junction of 100 and 107, go N on Rt. 100, (High St).
0.1m Turn R onto Church St., continuing on Rt. 100
1.0m At an intersection, Church St. ends and Wallum Lake Rd. begins. (This is a
change of road in name only.) There is no street sign here. Continue going
straight ahead on Rt. 100.
3.4m Still on 100 pass green sign indicating “To !2 Conn. left” shortly after turn left onto Buck Hill Rd.
Follow Buck Hill Rd for 1.5 miles to fire tower on your left. Park across the street, beside the electrical boxes.

if you want to pm me your email, I have the whole midstate broken int 9 separate section hikes with directions to all

cabinfever

Some of these links are great. I tend to go north into New Hampshire or Maine, rather than explore the state I actually live in. I didn't realize that there were as many good spots here in MA as there seems to be.