Best sausage for gumbo...

My husband and I got into a debate recently about which kind of sausage is best for gumbo. He says any kind will do. I disagree--it's Andouille or not at all for me.

Cappy

There is no right answer the great thing about gumbo is it comes in many widely varied ways. The stuff they call andouille now a days is really only a course ground smoked sausage anyways. Not the original Cajun creation. Put what you like in your gumbo. seafood, game, or store bought fowl. Okra or not and its still gumbo. I prefer smoked sausages but none at all its still gumbo.

southerngal

I like andouille sausage in my gumbo, but we have made it with all different kinds of sausage before. I had some gumbo recently with chorizo sausage and it was excellent.

Diver97

Andouille would be my first choice but I agree with Cappy, most Andouille you see in the store is not what I consider real Andouille. I have used several kinds of smoked sausage before and it all comes out good. I would ,however, avoid Italian sausage, a friend of mine used sausage pizza topping once and it gave the gumbo a weird flavor.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like hot Italian sausage. Of course I precook it in the smoker grill first. And gumbo without okra just doesn't seem to have the right taste and texture.

carmen

We can go from Italian with a little spice or Andouille. We headed out a few days ago and had lunch at a little cafe we found out in the middle of pretty much nothing. I am sure it was the spiciest gumbo I have had in the last ten years.

Cappy

This is the pot of gumbo we had on the road trip part of this camping adventure. It has smoked hen, smoked sausage, and andouille, the okra was smothered down with onion, tomato and tasso before adding it to the gumbo. It's the way most Cajun families do it.