Bicycle Friendly Cities and Lifestyle

Simplify

I was really impressed by an article I read showing bicycle friendly areas of the world. Especially the Netherlands, bicycles, bicycles everywhere.

In many cities in the Netherlands, the daily commute is mostly bicyclists. I think that is so cool.

Moving to Phoenix, AZ from a small town in north central Massachusetts put me into a more bicycle friendly area. Phoenix has designated bicycle lanes and a public transport system with bicycle carriers on the front of the buses.

It would be nice for more areas of the US to implement bicycle friendly legislation and design. Wide bicycle lanes, converting old, unsued railroad paths to paved bike trails, wide sidewalks, etc.

In Phoenix they have bicycle paths that follow the canal system so one can go long distances across the city with only minimal sections where they are cycling alongside traffic. I would like to see more of this and other similar designs.

It would be nice to slowly see US cities applying more of the European 'walking and biking' friendly model into their designs and renovations.

Last edited:

charley

I just returned from spending some time in Fl. and rode my bike on several paved bike trails. Some were near cities. They were nice trails and I enjoyed my rides. Most of these would not be used to travel for work though.

ppine

Forester
simplify makes some good points. A city like Amsterdam not only is set up for bicycles, but has what they call the "white bikes." They are owned by the city and free for anyone to use. It is an example of what is possible.

In small towns, bikes are a great way to get around. I used to go to Key West and never rented a car. Just one taxi ride to a motel and then bikes for the whole trip. It is very relaxing.

Simplify

Living in a bicycle friendly area is a liberating experience. You don't have to depend on an automobile as the only way to get from point A to point B and therefore are not at the whim of expensive fuel and repair bills.

Grandpa

Ft. Collins, Colorado is bike friendly. Grandson is totally bike dependent and has no problem getting all around town.