Bikes with small motors

Joe S.

Does anyone know if bikes are made with small motors? I would like to ride my bike to work this summer. It's only about ten miles, but there are some serious hills along the way.

wvbreamfisherman

Any motor at all on a bike here in WV makes it a motorcycle, and you need a motorcycle endorsement on your license, and you have to have a helmet and all the other motorcycle requirements (not that a helmet is a bad idea on a bike).

You'll probably want to look into state and local laws.

ChadTower

I see more and more converted bikes as the years ago by. A few years ago it was Vespa scooters. I guess those are out of fashion now.

This makes me wonder where all those Mopeds from the 80s went? They were everywhere at one point. Then they were just gone.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a 750 twin that will climb those hills. It makes a little noise and may annoy the neighbors but it gets excellent gas mileage

Joe S.

I did a bit of research and found several companies that sell bicycle motor kits. The motor come as gasoline versions or electric versions. You can just add a motor to your existing bicycle. I'm liking this idea!

Stargazer

I was researching electric bikes. I was thinking of getting one for my son. I wasn't quite prepared for a $999 price tag. Stick to the electric motors and make your own electric bike.

Birddog

I see more and more converted bikes as the years ago by. A few years ago it was Vespa scooters. I guess those are out of fashion now.

This makes me wonder where all those Mopeds from the 80s went? They were everywhere at one point. Then they were just gone.
They are still popular down here in Florida(scooters,not mopeds),if you get a 50cc they are legal with no motorcycle endorsements,most people get the 150cc that I see,my sister has one she has over 7000 miles on it,her main transportation around Clearwater,fl. I get behind them on the road and they are too slow,and hold up a lot of traffic,but that's the 50cc ones.

Laffeet

There is a kid in my neighborhood that made his own bike motor out of a weed eater motor. He fastened it to the front of the bike and put a big socket on the shaft which runs directly on the front tire. I see him pedal-zooming everywhere.