Bird Feeders

Snuggles

I would like to have a new bird feeder for Christmas this year. Is there such thing as a squirrel proof bird feeder. I am blessed with both around my house. Sometimes I think there are more squirrels than birds. Any suggestions?

bsmit212

They do make feeders that are marketed as "squirrel proof" However my dad tried serveral of these when I was growing up and none of them were really "squirrel proof" They would always find ways to by pass the pervention device and still get the seed. Now this was several years ago, so I am not sure if they have come out with any that are more effetive.

I don't know if they still make these or not, but the funniest one we had was the squirrel flinger. While most squirrels could avoid the flinging by hangging off the top, everynow and then a dumb one would just hop one. When enough pressure was applied to the feeding stand (birds are not heavy enough to trip it) it would start to spin and you got to see the squirrel hang on for a moment and then flight off. It was good entertianment. Bet there are some YouTube videos out there of these.

JeepThrills

There are some feeders for small birds that close up when a squirrel steps onto the landing. The birds aren't heavy enough to make it shut, but the weight of a squirrel is enough to make the top come down over the feed.

Barney

There are some feeders for small birds that close up when a squirrel steps onto the landing. The birds aren't heavy enough to make it shut, but the weight of a squirrel is enough to make the top come down over the feed.
Smart thinking. Why not make two feeders, one for birds and one for squirrels? :) I plan on building at least one as soon as the weather turns for better.

bsmit212

Yeah these are the type I am talking about. For our family, the squirrels around the house quickly learned how to hang from the top of the feeder as to not make it close and still eat way. Smart little Bs aren't they.

BGreen

I have never found a squirrel proof feeder. Those suckers can jump. They eat through acrylic and plastic. I sat here at the window and watched them eat the bottom out of a Lucite bird feeder and finally gave up.

Snuggles

I know what you mean BGreen. I have had squirrels eat through plastic, wood and wire to get to the bird seed. That's why I was asking for suggestions. If I tried a bird feeder as well as a squirrel feeder, the squirrels would be at both. That just wouldn't work. I like bsmit212's idea. Think I'll look that one up.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

If the feeder is mounted on a post, adding a squirrel guard (looks like an inverted funnel) to the post can keep them out. Also, adding a non-climb surface around the post can also keep them out (aluminum, etc. around the post).

Around here, bird feeders have to be both squirrel AND bear proof...!! Bear proofing usually just requires hanging it above their reach.