Blade on You?

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
Not a big fan of serrated blades, myself, but to each their own.
The 06 Auto is the first serrated knife that I have liked. The S30V stainless is a wonderful steel alloy. The serrations come in handy on an EDC(never thought I'd say that) and has plenty of edge for daily chores. If I'm out in the bush I also have my BK-2. If I'm not worried about gear weight I also have my Mora and a boys axe.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

My favorite case knife has a partially serrated blade. I'd rather it didn't, but not a big deal (so far, anyway).

NOTE: no special tools are needed to sharpen the serrations. Only the teeth do the cutting, and they will be sharpened as well when the rest of the blade is sharpened.

carmen

I have a folding knife but it is not a quick release which bothers me a little. It works pretty good so I can keep it on me without having a huge appearance of a little old lady walking around with it.

Michael

Regarding serrations:

I used to prefer a blade with a small serrated section, but I've since changed my mind on that. I never need the things. With the stuff I do, I'm better served with a regular blade. I keep my pocket knives sharp enough that I can cut cords and such as much as I ever need to and I'm fine.

I suppose if I spent a lot of time cutting rope every day I'd want serrations. But since I don't, I'm better off without.

Michael

...and normal blades are easier to sharpen also, right?
The serrated knives I've owned have had the serrations on the same bevel as the straight edge, so you just sharpen them like the serrations weren't even there. There wasn't any difference to speak of.

Well, you would have to be careful stropping your edge. With a mixed straight/ serrated edge, you'd just have to stop above the serrations. Because otherwise you'd round the tips of the teeth while ripping your strop apart.

Other than that, not much of a difference for sharpening. Not with the knives I've owned.

aksoutherland

I like the variations of opinions here, lots of good info. I carry a Leatherman Skeletool CX and a Swiss Army Tinkerer, both have held up pretty good, The Leatherman is very durable, I have been carrying it for a couple of years now and never any issues. The Swiss Army knife is something I picked up brand new at a pawn shop for $10, it seems to be pretty good.
I have several other knives but these 2 are my go to knives when something needs to be done.

NicholasDuMonde

Since we're still talking knives; In addition to the Gerber I mentioned in an earlier post, I also carry a Benchmade, not sure of the model, and I'd estimate it is 3 - 3.5 inches long. Half serrated, poly handle, and lightweight. Much more suitable for everyday carry than my Gerber auto. 2 years old, spends most of its days cutting through tape, cardboard, zip-ties, and other various packaging materials and gives me ease of mind when walking around downtown at night; I can't exactly walk around with a Ka-Bar strapped to my chest!

ddbck

ESEE-4 by far the best bush knife I have owned!! Look at some of the impressive torture tests they put this knife through. It holds a razor sharp forever.

ppine

Forester
Partially serrated blades are favored by people in boats and those that work around livestock. They are dependable for cutting rope and tack in the event of an emergency.

EmberMike

I've carried a bunch of different small knives for day-to-day use and I think my favorite is the Buck Vantage series. The small ones, 2.75" blades.

They're good and cheap, a combination you don't see much these days. The above pictured one with G10 and S30V runs about $50. They make a few other versions, one that I think is really good as well is the "Select" version, which looks early identical but with cheaper handle and blade materials, and that one goes for about $30.

I don't like the super expensive stuff. I've tried pricier knives and I've found that the more they cost, the less I want to even use them.

jdee

For a cheap great folder look at Kershaw and Boker Knives. Lots of different models to choose from. Amazon has good prices. under $30 and some great knives under $20. Cabelas carries these too.

I like the "one ton"model fits great in my hand.