Bourbon apple pie

Joe S.

My wife made a bourbon apple pie for Thanksgiving, and it called for a whole cup of bourbon. Have you ever done one of these? It was a tasty pie, but I thought it was a waste of good booze.

Pathfinder1

Joe S.;
My wife made a bourbon apple pie for Thanksgiving, and it called for a whole cup of bourbon. Have you ever done one of these? It was a tasty pie, but I thought it was a waste of good booze.

Hi...

Well, if it tasted THAT good, was it really a waste...?? (And, does your wife read your posts...!!). :tinysmile_twink_t:

Scotty

Hmm, I may have to look into that. I love apples and, and....well you know. I have a bottle of fine Kentucky sipping whiskey I may have to try in another form. We have been making hot toddys for the cough I've developed. *Cough, cough* honey I need another toddy! :p

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm with Pathfinder. The only way to waste good booze is to pour it out on the ground or down a drain.

ppine

Forester
Bourbon goes with fruit. There is an old drink recipe that is pretty good with bourbon, apple cider and water. On the frontier, apples were one of the easiest sweets to get. They were used in everything and leftovers got made into apple jack. I had a close friend from NC that was a great horse hand. He used to make apple jack every fall and we would sit in the little room above the barn with a wood stove and drink that stuff out of an earthen jug. Dana called it "apple pie." We all miss him, the only black cowboy I have ever known. He once spent a year on a wagon train going around the country with problem kids.

Snuggles

Your husband is right Carmen. Serve me the apple pie and put the burbon in a glass. I think both would be wasted if you put them together. Now, burbon balls is a different story. I think you could actually get tipsy eating those.

T

tentrus

Doesn't the booze just burn out? Did you taste it at all in the pie? I have never added alcohol in any pie. If you want the bourbon just pour a glass! I've heard other people cook with alcohol but I don't.

Scotty

The bourbon is mixed into the bourbon ball mixture and isn't cooked. Yes, you certainly can get tipsy by eating them. I sent some to the housekeeping staff when I worked in supply at the hospital and they ate them. One older lady, who was a devout Charismatic Christian, kept eating them all day and bragging about them to the other staff. By the time for her to go home, she was lit. I didn't know about it or I would have told her and the other people working with her didn't let her know. It was a good thing her husband drove her back and forth to work because she certainly couldn't have driven herself. I'm still a bit embarrassed about that.

hummingbird

I have a recipe for those! Let me get the recipe book: Insert Jeopardy theme song here.
1/2 cup of butter softened
3 tablespoon condensed milk
1/3 cup plus 2 tsp bourbon (we use Maker's Mark)
7 1/2 cup powdered sugar (this measure out generally to be 2 pound)
1/2 cup pecans, chopped finely and lightly toasted
1/2 pound dipping chocolate, either light or dark. I like the dark though
Whole pecans for the top of the bourbon ball

Soak all pecans in bourbon overnight. Drain bourbon from pecans and set aside the pecans for later. Mix bourbon with butter and canned milk. Add powdered sugar and knead until mixture is well blended and does not stick to hands. Knead in the chopped, soaked pecans. Set aside the bourbon soaked whole pecans for decoration.

Shape into 1 inch balls. Cut dipping chocolate into small pieces and melt in a double boiler. Use a fork, not to pierce the bourbon ball, or a dipping spoon to gently dip each bourbon ball in the chocolate. Place on waxed paper and place a bourbon soaked whole pecan on the top.

Now. That's the recipe I use every year at Christmas. I haven't made mine yet this year but they're on the list for me to do along with other candy and treats. Have fun!!!