Breakfast Casserole

3ofusnow

I got a new dutch oven for Christmas and finally got around to trying it out this morning. We made a breakfast casserole, and it was really good. Plenty of leftovers for tommorrow's breakfast too! :)

1/4 cube butter
8 slices of bread
2 lb pre-cooked pork sausage
1 lb cheddar cheese
12 eggs
1 qt milk
1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt

Spread butter all over the inside of the dutch oven.
Tear bread into pieces.
Break sausage into pieces.
Grate cheese.
In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, dry mustard, and salt.
Layer the bread, sausage, and eggs into the D.O.
Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Pour cheese over top of casserole.
Cook another 10-15 minutes until cheese forms a light-brown crust on top of cooked eggs.

Makes about 8 servings.

Dura Mater

Looks tasty! I absolutely love this sort of food. Never had this one but had one similar and it was served on tortillas to avoid the need for utensils or plates. Thanks for the recipe! I should add that I'm a terrible cook so more than likely I will pass off the recipe to someone who has a clue.

campclose

Wow, that sounds amazing. I love that it is enough for 2 meals! I don't own a Dutch oven but I really want one. What other things can you cook in them and are they easy to use?

Grandpa

Wow, that sounds amazing. I love that it is enough for 2 meals! I don't own a Dutch oven but I really want one. What other things can you cook in them and are they easy to use?
Excellent recipe 3ofus, thanks. And Campclose, a dutch oven can be used for anything you use a frypan, saucepan or bake in an oven pan. It does it all, and well.

Gabbie

I think I will have to try this recipe out in my dutch oven. I haven't used it in a while and we all like this kind of breakfast, especially if there is plenty to go around. Thanks for posting it 3ofusnow.

Marshmallow

We use a recipe similar to this as our Christmas morning breakfast. I can fix it ahead and just pop it into the oven. I hadn't thought of using it when we camped. Instead of bread, we open a can of crescent rolls and layer the bottom of the pan. Everyone loves it and there are never any leftovers.

ppine

Forester
Marshmallow,

I agree that good food should not be left over. Breakfast in a Dutch is one of life's great pleasures. I like the recipe above. Another favorite is baked french toast.

I was drinking whiskey with an old friend one night around a fire and we got to thinking about what the old miner's must have cooked. I perfected a method of cooking pancakes over a fire with a shovel. Kids really like it. Thin crepe type batter with a few eggs on a clean, greased shovel. Tilt the shovel to evenly distribute the batter. Hold near the flames, then turn the shovel over and the cake stays on the shovel until done. Serve with fruit jam or real maple syrup the forester favorite. Next we baked bread in 2 gold pans, and started cooking lunch on the exhaust manifold of the truck while going down the highway.

"You are a good cook", I told the old ranch hand. "Naw", he said, "You just got your appetite back."

Last edited:

Bumpkin

This looks really good and I think I'll try it this weekend. I don't eat breakfast during the week, but on the weekends it's my favorite meal of the day. I'm always looking for new ideas to keep it interesting.

rayne

ppine, you're my kind of camper. Especially that part about drinking whiskey and swapping stories. I'll never forget the first time I tried to cook bacon over an open fire. I was just a kid and it was a disaster. I've learned quite a lot since then. There ain't nothin' better than breakfast/bacon over a campfire. The smell alone will drive you crazy.