Cabela's employees say managers confirm store will close Jan. 1

jason

fear no beer
We have developing news regarding a major retailer here in Billings. Sources told KULR-8's Leah Jordan that a major buyout is coming regarding Cabela's.

Several employees expressed concern about what the looming buyout means for the future. Management confirmed to employees Monday that Bass Pro Shops will buy out Cabela's, according to an anonymous staff member.

The sources said the deal was finalized Nov. 9, and the formal take-over will be Jan. 1, 2016.

One employee agreed to speak with KULR-8 on camera under the condition that we protect their identity.

"The manager had told her that her job was going to basically be over come Jan 1. Several other people were commenting on it, and as I was leaving work another employee was talking to a department manager. So I stopped and caught the tail end of their conversation, so I approached him and said, 'so this is true? We are being bought out and we are not going to have jobs?' He said, 'I don't know whether they will keep anyone, I don't know if the store will stay open or what their plans are.' I said, 'well, is the January 1st deadline true?' And he said, 'yes,'" the anonymous employee said.

The employee told us management was specifically instructed not to disclose the deal involving Bass Pro Shops.

Full story http://www.kulr8.com/story/30496958/cabelas-employees-say-managers-confirm-store-will-close-jan-1

Bojib

Interesting. Cabela's is building a new store in my city, set to open around the first of the year. Will have to watch and see what happens with that.

jason

fear no beer
I think it is something to watch. I have only been to one Cabelas and that was near Dallas TX. I think it was a better store then the few Bass Pro's I have been to. I have heard rumors that Cabelas was moving to Florida too, but nothing has been on their site, I wonder if this is why.

Cappy

In Louisiana there are 2 bass pro and 1 Cabellas they are spread pretty good and all seem to have good business I cant see closeting the cabellas it does very good business It's a good location. I consider Bass por and Academy to be the walmarts of Outdoor stuff. Cabellas is higher quality and their out door kitchen, smoke house camp kitchen stuff is exellent. Grinders slicers etc all top notch.

MacGyver

I'm with Cappy - Bass Pro stores look like Walmart with a bunch of plaid and camo. There's a Bass Pro about a half hour from me and Cabela's in Hamburg, PA and Christiana, DE, both of which are over an hour from me. I'd rather go to Cabela's. I wish the acquisition was going the other way.

Bojib

From a couple of the articles I read related to the buy out, it appears as though Bass Pro will be keeping the Cabela's brand. So, there will still be separate Bass Pro and Cabela's stores. Hopefully they won't change much else for a while either.

Northern Dancer

...they have closed their store in my neck of the woods too - after three years of operation. Close by is Bass Pro - I have never shopped or ordered anything from them.

Cappy

A friend told me all the Cabellas named stuff was deeply discounted. Kinda makes ya wonder I have scale meat grinder slicer etc with Cabellasname on it maybe grand kids will find it worth something some day course it aint in da box its well used.