Camper vs. Tent

Cappy

I dont mean to argue with anyone but saying ya cant put a camper in a canoe is like saying ya cant carry a horse. Camping allows me to fish hunt etc areas I could never paddle to. It is a base camp from which you have access to ....well...... anywhere

Cappy

Today has the makings of a wonderful out side day. yard work, BBQ, fire pit, topped off by the LSU game tonight all while it finally feels like a great fall day in the 60's I may even have to dig out a flannel shirt for the first time this fall.:bbq1::fire1::fire5::beer1::beer3:

Northern Dancer

I dont mean to argue with anyone but saying ya cant put a camper in a canoe is like saying ya cant carry a horse. Camping allows me to fish hunt etc areas I could never paddle to. It is a base camp from which you have access to ....well...... anywhere
-------------------------------------> :)
...it's true - it's what you make it and the wonderful thing is we have a smorgasbord of outdoor delights that can tantalize any adventurous soul.

That's what I do too - I always set up a base camp and from there do what pleases me.

ppine

Forester
I went on a hunting trip in my friend's Alaknak. It takes a little longer to set up than a wall tent with a frame. The walls are kind of short and the green color makes it dark. In fall weather with rain and snow around they don't breathe at all and have condensation problems. I am happy that you like it. I think there are some clear advantages in having a white canvas tent.

Northern Dancer

I went on a hunting trip in my friend's Alaknak. It takes a little longer to set up than a wall tent with a frame. The walls are kind of short and the green color makes it dark. In fall weather with rain and snow around they don't breathe at all and have condensation problems. I am happy that you like it. I think there are some clear advantages in having a white canvas tent.
-------------------------------------------> :)
I have three different sized Alaknaks - my summer one has five foot walls and a nine foot centre pole as do the rest. I only use them for base camp. I have a variety of tripper tents that are light weight, usually four season, and durable for what I use them for.

OldMcdonald

I enjoyed tent camping for many years however, with time I've got myself a Land cruiser and a roof mount tent - it's totally the new way of camping for me. First, it's pretty convenient to set up and I don't have to find a good place for a camp. Wherever you are, you can set it on top of the rig. Alternatively if you travel with your truck you can get a tent camper right in your truck bed. It also have the benefits of a camper, as you can make a normal warm sleeping place in your bed. It's really comfortable and roomy and on the other hand. It's also pretty cheap in compare to a real camper and easy to set up.

Cappy

Well first off welcome aboard. Nice to have a new guy to visit with. For years I had a simular rig and camped out of the back of my pickup I had a high hard shell and a tail gate extension tent built to it. Was very sturdy I didn't often open the extension over the tail gate but it was nice to have.

ppine

Forester
ND,
I really like tipis. Please tell us some more about the one above. How much does it weigh? How do you get it to breathe in wet weather? How many people can comfortably sleep in there? thanks

Northern Dancer

....from the manufacturer plus a little bit of my own commentary.

Cabela's XTP Xtreme Teepee

• Fast setup single-pole, single-wall, octagon design
  • Fully functioning top *vent/skylight [in my picture my skylight is open]
  • Lightweight, rugged polyester and nylon oxford
  • Fully seam-taped
We built our soon-to-be legendary X-Teepee based on comfort, compactness and the classic design that was made famous by native Americans. The lightweight, yet rugged polyester 250-denier oxford, Polyurethane- and UV-treated fabric will keep rain and water outside where it belongs as well as hold up against the sun's damaging rays. A strong 210-denier Polyurethane-treated nylon oxford barrier keeps the floor and lower walls protected against any moisture on the ground. Strategically placed No-See-Um mesh in the bottom vents lets air flow through on hot days and wet weather. All seams are fully seam-taped for reinforced strength and protection from the elements. Best of all, the X-Teepee sports a single-pole design with a D-ring on top so you've only got one pole to deal with, or hang it for even lighter and faster options. *The E-Z adjust guide line inside pulls open the vent in the top for ventilation or watching the night sky. The centre pole is made of galvanized steel to meet the demands of your outdoor adventure. The main entrance sports a durable YKK® zipper. . Steel ground stakes and durable guide ropes. Includes zippered storage bag. Imported.
Centre pole dimensions: 1-1/4" diameter, 121"H. [10 feet high]
Tent dimensions: 173"L x 187"W x 122"H. [14 feet x 15 feet]
Color: Warm Gray/Burgundy.

NOTE -
I painted the decorations
I've had eight people sleeping on the ground
Four using cots
I had no problem with condensation - there are vents at the bottom, one at the top of the door and the *cap at the top can be raised to let out heat
Did well in rain and wind
Not sure of the weight - I'm guessing 50 pounds - the steal pole and stakes add most to the weight
I've use the tent in a variety of situations

upload_2016-11-19_13-24-58.jpeg upload_2016-11-19_13-25-41.jpeg I have one of theseupload_2016-11-19_13-26-1.jpeg and this one too.

OldMcdonald

Thanks for the warm welcome! The truck tent picture was taken from here, in case anyone needs a reference. I must say that camping in a truck kind of limits you, because you can't really take it deep in the wild, so I do a tent camping from time to time for as well.

ppine

Forester
"Deep in the wild." That is a great concept. I have been looking for it my whole life.

I have found it in Alaska, BC, Alberta, the Cascades and the Rockies. It is a little harder to find in the Sierras. Nevada has a lot of empty country to roam around in.

Northern Dancer

"Deep in the wild." I can identify with that. You have done some "mighty fine" camping OldMcDonald [what's with the Old?:) ] and I would like to hear more about your adventures. Go get your journals and I'll start the fire.

Grandpa

Daughter and family just moved into a new home so we will be MAKING tracks to her house. This will be the third Thanksgiving in 40 years we were somewhere besides right here.

Northern Dancer

...being with family or friends is the chief ingredient for a happy Thanks Giving. The turkey, dressing, potatoes made just how you like them, the thick rich gravy, vegetables, tasty baked buns dripping with wholesome butter, the pumpkin pie baked fresh, smothered in ice cream or just plain cream, the sparking wine, the brewed coffee...err...aah...where was I? Oh yes,...

Family and Friends.

upload_2016-11-21_23-10-17.jpeg

ppine

Forester
Thanksgiving is the best holiday we have. I agree with ND. I will be making stuffing with apples and walnuts, cranberry relish with oranges, lemons and cloves. The girl is making corn pudding with chiles. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Show your Gratitude this week for family and friends and your situation in life.

Cappy

We are in hot springs Ark in a camp ground to spend the holiday with our daughter and her Fiancee. I brung my turkey frying rig and stainless steal syringe and some Cajun spice with me. Peg, and daughter Jen are doing sides me and David SIL to be are frying a couple 12 lb birds and consuming assorted home made beverages while doing it. Will try to get some pictures our Thanksgiving will be on a pic nic table by a lake!

ppine

Forester
Cooking Thanksgiving on a fire is one of my favorite things in life. We havent' done it in awhile. Maybe next year. The women cook in the house and men cook outside on a fire with Dutch Oven. Buffalo is my favorite American meat.

Cappy

Das what we dong sorta and da way Cajuns roll The gals are in the campers cooking sides and such me and the SIL are out with black iron and turkey frying rig. Tonights fiest we are cooking sticky chicken in the black iron and assorted stuff on the grill to munch on whyile cooking and having a few......:beer3: