Campgrounds and a rant

campclose

We went to visit friends today at a local campground. We decided to hike to the falls. I could not believe how bad the path/trail had gotten since the last time we were there. This is a hiking trail that they advertise, not one that people just take. It was such a mess, I saw numerous people stumbling over limbs and other debris. You would think that they would clean it up!

Judy Ann

We've had bad storms in these parts lately, maybe the same has happened there. I've had to climb over fallen trees or move aside limbs hiking many times in the past. It is just part of the allure of getting out in nature.

wvbreamfisherman

When I was on the AT I was amazed how well maintained the trail was. You could see literally dozens of places where blowdowns had been cut out of the way.

This was of course before the big Derecho. I imagine that there was tremendous damage along the ridgetops from that.

Grandpa

As forests are declared wilderness and multi use is curtailed, so is the managers budgets curtailed. It is common now in many western wilderness' to find miles of bad trails and deadfall. They just don't have the budget to maintain the manpower to keep them clean. Most of those trails were built by miners, cattlemen, sheepmen or the outfitters anyway. Kick those people out and call it a wilderness and you loose your trail systems. Most federal trail work now is done by volunteers. However, lack of enough volunteers only keep the high traffic trails open.

Esperahol

If I'm trying a trail and it looks like crap or it's just messy I'll set aside my pack for while and do some clearing. It doesn't hurt me and it helps out others. A bit of tithing as it were.

TroyS

Quite agree with Hikenhunter and Esperahol. It won't hurt if you do your part and clear a bit of it. Who knows? Maybe some of the people that will be passing along the trail may get a dose of conscience in them and pitch in to help.

wvbreamfisherman

I've been thinking of getting involved in some trail maintenance on the AT. There are a couple trail clubs only about a 3 hour drive away. Unfortunately, my wife's health this summer has pretty well kept me within a short distance of the homestead.

Maybe next year!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I rather enjoy trails that are a bit difficult to negotiate. They keep my stalking skills up. What do you guys want, a paved road? Most of the paths in my woods have debris. These will teach you to move quietly through the woods.

I understand the need for clear paths for children and older folks with arthritis problems but I still like the deer paths. That's where the game is.

ChadTower

Heh. On our camping trip this past week my sons and I decided to forgo the trail and walk a mile down the creek bed instead. Debris is more fun to navigate when you're in waist deep freezing mountain water. :)

Marshmallow

If everyone who came along cleared a little away now and then, it would really add up. Even when I was in the library with students, I always asked them to clean up their messes, and then clean up a little more. That way things were always good.

ejdixon

Dino's got a pretty good point. Some of the "hurdles" that are found along trails just ups the ante and the challenge. At least, that's the way how I see it.

TroyS

I usually don't mind the challenge, if I'm just hiking by myself or with some friends. But it's a different story when I'm going hiking with my boy. I try to clear most of the trail to avoid any potential accidents.

plsargent

My family always tries to clear a little bit here and there on the trails we hike, like others have said if everyone would clear a little here and there then the trails would look great all the time for everyone.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
We went to visit friends today at a local campground. We decided to hike to the falls. I could not believe how bad the path/trail had gotten since the last time we were there. This is a hiking trail that they advertise, not one that people just take. It was such a mess, I saw numerous people stumbling over limbs and other debris. You would think that they would clean it up!
Ok, I have to poke fun at ya alittle. You do realize you are complaining that you had to step over limbs and debris from nature while visiting nature. It just sounds kind of funny. If you go to visit nature and experience the beauty that it has to offer than I would assume you would also have to avoid exposed roots, unearthed rocks, broken branches, fallen trees, and the like while hiking the trail; after all, it's all part of nature. Nature, by Nature, is not clean and tidy.

Please dont take the tone of this in the wrong manner. Its just poking fun alittle. No disrespect intended. I understand what you were trying to convey; and that is, that the trails should be maintained better.

shaun

The trails need to be managed. I think some trails should be shut off because they cause so much damage to the environment. I love hiking but I don't think it should be at the expense of the environment. This is why I try to seek out the less-popular trails.

RingTwist

I'm with Davefromva. Your post sounded a little funny. :) Personally I don't mind trails that aren't completely maintained. It's part of the fun for me.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
The trails need to be managed. I think some trails should be shut off because they cause so much damage to the environment. I love hiking but I don't think it should be at the expense of the environment. This is why I try to seek out the less-popular trails.
I agree that heavy traffic on trails can impact the environment quite a bit. What I would suggest they do is charge a small fee to hike the trails and put the money towards creating board walks or pathways less resistant to foot traffic damage. I have been on a few trails that had raised board walks in quite a few places to cut down on ground erosion. Putting a fee on trails will cut down on the amount of traffic because less people will be willing to pay to visit nature. Sucks for us but its better for nature.