Cedar planks

BGreen

I hit a sale yesterday where they were selling cedar planks for $2 each. What a deal. I stocked up and we'll be eating salmon in style through the summer. We can finally throw out the others ones, which have definitely lost their flavor.

ppine

Forester
I use scrap cedar fencing. I don't get this fad of laying food on a piece of cedar on a bar b que. I like to cook salmon NW Indian style. Take a slab of salmon, like a big fillet or half a whole fish, secure to the fencing with a couple of roofing nails. Then slant the board over a low alder fire. Two boards can be leaned together like an A-frame, or board can be secured with rocks. Nothing like it.

A new 6 foot fence picket can be had for between $1-3 at the home improvement store.

TakeAHike

Ppine, that sounds interesting. I don't think I could talk my husband into eating something that was nailed to a piece of fence though. he is a germaphobe. He has a problem when I roll dough on the kitchen counter for goodness sakes. I would eat it though. BGreen, that was a great deal on the cedar planks. I got mine last year at the end of season.

Snuggles

That is an interesting idea ppine. I like the salmon well enough on a cedar slab but your way sounds like it will really pick up the cedar flavor better. Have you ever thought of throwing several sprigs of rosemary on the fire as you're cooking? I'm making my mouth water.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

ppine

Forester
In 2006, to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, I cooked salmon the native way for 40 people and we also had buffalo cooked in a Dutch. Most people came in costume. My folks were in town. That was the night I finished off the campfire under the full moon with my Dad and my good mule Judith (named after Clark's cousin and the River of the same name).

Scotty

I don't like fish except to catch and give away. Sounds like a good way to cook fish though. The buffalo I would have loved, I love buffalo meat and would love to have one of those bad boys in my freezer taking up space.

Reed

The Native Americans had a lot of things right, and cooking was one of them. Salmon on cedar is one of the best tasting foods I have ever eaten.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I smoke my salmon catches over hickory. We use the cedar to line the interior walls of the sauna.

dinosaur

troublemaker
That may be, ppine, but I cut the hickory myself. It's hickory. And, if you blend it with willow, it gives a much milder flavor.