Cellphones

Woodzie

When you are hiking in the woods, do you make sure your cellphones are turned on for the GPS signal--in case you get lost?

I have heard so many news reports where they are able to track people who are lost and/or missing because of their cellphones. It just seems like a safety measure that everybody should practice.

Taggart

I agree, that sounds like a good idea. You could always set the ring to silent if you wanted to avoid the ringing, but the GPS signal could save your life in an extreme condition.

Is there any kind of GPS signal put out by just basic cell phones, or do you need to have one of the newer smart phones?

Penny

Technology is so great now a days and why wouldn't you want to have something on you that can save your life like a GPS? I'm so greatful for technology where would we be without it!?

atula

I think that is actually a very good idea...it also helps in tracking the way yourself and letting other people know your location incase you are injured or something....

failghe

I only turn it off about once a month for a little while to reset. So different from years ago, I always said I will never need or get one. Now I never leave home without my cell phone. :cell: My how the times change.

kernow

Yes, I always keep my mobile phone turned on, and I take a charger with me too (the sort that you wind up).