Cornflake Bars

SweetSassyLady

I was thumbing through a "Woman's World" magazine the other day at the grocery and this recipe was in it. It sounded so good and it is! The kids loved them and they are just as good the next day and the next. I think they would be an excellent homemade substitute for store bought granola bars. Here's the recipe:

"Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a 13X9 inch baking pan with foil; coat with cooking spray. In bowl, mix 6 cups of cornflakes, 1 cup of sweetened dried cranberries and 1 cup chopped walnuts; reserve. In microwave-safe bowl, mix 3/4 cup honey, 2 Tbs. brown sugar, 1 Tbs. butter, 1 tsp. grated orange zest and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Microwave on High in 15-second intervals until sugar is dissolved; cool. Stir in 2 eggs (beaten). Stir honey mixture in to cereal mixture until evenly coated. Spread in pan. Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on rack. Cut into bars. Makes 20."

I didn't use the orange zest because my kids tend not to like the taste and I used a mixture of dried cranberries, blueberries and cherries since I had those on hand. I also added pecans to the mix because we all love them. I can see many, many ways this recipe could be individualized with success. I hope you guys like them as much as we did!

CatsEye

Those sound good! I wonder how they would taste with almonds and dried banana chip pieces and pineapple in them?? Hmmm, maybe a bit of coconut and mango as well. Tropical bars!