Cram It or Roll It

Hikenhunter

What's the difference? These are the types of things I barely notice and would never spend time pondering.

Don't let the equipment own you. Make it behave and serve you. Practice on a longer trip makes handling equipment easy.

I don't fully understand people with organized garages with everything in its place and painted spotless floors. I am too busy using equipment to spend that much time organizing it.
I agree, I barely notice what one guy or another does when he packs his stuff,and the equipment should serve you. However being neat and organized has it's advantages too. If you organize your garage once, and keep it that way then you become more efficient when you need to get something instead of wasting time looking for it. You can't use equipment if you can't find it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t If you can't find a tool to finish a job that is a good time to take a break, have a beer, and seize the day.:tinysmile_twink_t:

Last edited:

Cappy

I could care less what anybody else does, but for me the particular equipment I'm packing dictates how. Some tents and hamocks when folded and rolled are easier to set up cause they laid out a sertain way. For most tarps, including the easy up screen porch I just got cramming is easy, fits well in the sack, and doesn't hamper set up.

tylert27

I always try to roll my tents and my sleeping bags. I think they last longer if you roll them up because it is less strenuous on the product. I also think that rolling the bag makes it consistently easier to put away than just stuffing the back in, forcing it to fit.

Barney

I like to tidy up so my gear is compressed to a black hole density sometimes. :) I always roll my sleeping bag and tent. Also, most of the clothes is rolled up too.

NicholasDuMonde

I fold and roll. I fold up the tent on top of the foot print, fold up the fly and put it on top of the tent, then fold up the footprint with the tent and fly enclosed. Put the stakes and poles in their bag, put it on the square, roll it all up and put it in its bag. The next time I use it, when I unroll and unfold, the footprint gets folded out, the fly is temporarily cast aside, I unfold the tent on top of the footprint, set it all up, and then toss on the fly! The bottom of the footprint is the only piece that ever comes in contact with the ground!

I also roll my sleeping bags, and then stuff them. It goes MUCH faster that way for me!

ppine

Forester
Forehand or backhand. Salt or pepper. Tarp or tent. Ensolite or inflatable. None of it matters.
29 responses and counting. Maybe some people stay up at night worrying about things like this.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

ppine;

What's the difference? These are the types of things I barely notice and would never spend time pondering.

...Since you brought it up however, I am reminded of a new paddling pal that has some sort of compulsive disorder. Every morning he takes all of his equipment out on a tarp and repacks it. He is chronically late, but a good guy and okay for undemanding trips.

Don't let the equipment own you. Make it behave and serve you. Practice on a longer trip makes handling equipment easy. I can only imagine what some people that are neat freaks go thru in an average weekend at home.

Hi...

Makes sense. The 'bold' part of your post is my addition.

campclose

I put it back in the way it came up. I would freak if someone just crammed any of my tents back into the bag. I am mad just thinking about it. I don't think it would fit if I tried to cram it in.

aksoutherland

I also fold and roll my tents and sleeping bags, I find they store and pack better that way. But that's just me and my OCD'ness.
To each their own.

troutstalker

You can stuff or roll a tent but you should stuff a sleeping bag. Reason is that the filling will stay lofty to keep you warm. When you roll them you compress the filling over and over the same way each time.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
All the stuff I have that goes in a stuff sack is too slippery to be put in a sack any other way except stuffing it.

Roybrew

Rolling always worked for me also. I tried cramming my tent one day, it was a disaster and I couldn't get it all into its original bag.