Crawfish Cornbread

Bella Rae

Here is my mom's recipe for crawfish cornbread. This is a real treat, and can be eaten by itself. The recipe calls for cornbread mix, because this was the one time my mom didn't make something from scratch. If you wanted to use your own cornbread from scratch, I am not sure what the conversion might be. Enjoy!

1 pound precooked crawfish tails
1 pound grated cheese
3 seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
1 large chopped onion
1 large can cream style corn
1 stick butter (8 tbsp)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp Creole Seasonings
1 tsp baking soda
2 packages cornbread mix

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour vegetable oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in oven to heat eight minutes. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour cornbread mixture into hot sillet and bake for 45 minutes
Servings: 8

ppine

Forester
Bella,

Wow that is some southern cooking. You wouldn't happen to be from Louisiana would you? I took a class from a Cajun guy many years ago from Lafayette. He substituted some lower fat ingredients in his cooking and lost 60 pounds in one year. I love the flavors in the recipe above. Went to New Orleans once for Thanksgiving before the Hurricane and ate my weight in Cajun food. Yum.

Last edited:

Marshmallow

I wonder if you could substitute anything else for the crawfish. The recipe sounds good otherwise. I'd try the crawfish, but I don't think they have them in the stores around me.

Gabbie

Well it does sound interesting! I was wondering the same thing Marshmallow, I don't think crawfish is an item that you can get just any where! I would love to try this recipe though if I can figure out where to get the crawfish. Thanks for posting it.

Judy Ann

Thank you for the recipe Bella Rae. I will plan to substitute crabmeat since I add it to hushpuppies. What a yummy sounding recipe!

rayne

This does sound like a great recipe. Where do you get your crawfish? Do you buy them or do you catch them? When I was a kid, we used to go to the creek behind my grandmother's house and catch jars full of them.

Little Kitty

I do not think they usually sell crawfish at grocery stores. Maybe a fish market, if you have one. It might be easier, and definitely taste better, if you just catch the crawfish for yourself.

Bella Rae

No, I live in Alabama, but my mom is from Louisiana. That is where most of my relatives still live. Crabmeat sounds like a good substitute. I am going to have to see how crabmeat cornbread turns out.