Crawfishing

Grandpa

I watched it on the youtube. Not many places with crawfish around here but there are a couple. I might have to try your methods. They look very successful. Thanks for posting.

ppine

Forester
There is now a commercial crawfishery at Lake Tahoe. They are starting to show up in local restaurants.
There is a guy in a little Nevada town called Mina that raises lobsters in tanks out behind his house. He has a restaurant made out of a large old fiberglass fishing boat out in the desert.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cappy, you son-of-a-gun. You gave me a taste for crawfish. Up Nawth we use box traps but it's essentially the same fishing. We tie the traps to a piece of clothesline, toss the trap in, then tie it to a branch on shore and move on to the next spot. We let the traps sit for a few hours. In the mean time we do some bowfishing.

Then we just pull the traps and toss them into the bed of the pickup. We sort them when we get back and toss the little ones into a private pond where we are getting a pretty good population now.

I'm going today.

Cappy

Since the Goverment found out there is money to be made from crawfish, in the name of conservation the fishing of them is highly regulated. The traps that Dino refers to are used here on a large scale. Typically made of chicken wire with a typical flat inverted cone for the trap end on one end and a flattened folded over end on the other end. Those are fished by the hundreds, run for a living and the crawfish sold at market, When I was in high school me and a friend had 150 of those type traps and we fished them in the summer for spending money. That is now regulated requiring licences, tags, sales reciepts etc.

The little square set nets I use are for catching a mess for the house. Not regulated cause they not as efficent as the wire traps. The nets are sold in packs of 12 for around 20$ your standard fishing licence covers 12 of them so Peg and I could have 24 in posession but that many starts being work:tinysmile_tongue_t:

The video was a not very sucessful trip. The 8-10 lbs we cught is our minumum, so it was really a non productive trip. When they really good we catch a sack full aproximently 40 lbs by mid afternoon. Bring them home boil them eat what we want and put the rest in the freezer.

Good luck Dino,