Deep Fried Turkey

twodogs

steven randall
:tinysmile_grin_t: Has Any one here deep fry a turkey yet ? I did one at Christmass and it came out great .And I didnt even burn anything down. I have done them in the past but not for my family,I Plan on doing them that way at christmass again . I have found that if you heat the oil hotter then the 375 the directions called for, the turkey cooks better. It came out moist and it took only about an hour . 20lb turkey was completly devoured and Every body loved it .

GPER

I used my deep fryer once, but the family liked my apple stuff, beer butt turkey done in the smoker better.

jason

fear no beer
I want to do one. I hear they are really good, but my fryer is not that big. Until then I just have to settle with the smoked turkey.

BTBoop

My husband got one of those infrared turkey fryers for Christmas and I gave it to him early so that he could use it for our family dinner. I was surprised at how tender and juicy it was.

Sophia

The only time I had deep-fried turkey was when a friend made it, and I don't think he let it cook enough. It wasn't cooked well inside. I think it would probably taste great, but now I am a little turned off at the thought.

sherbearski

My brother in TX cooks deep fried turkeys all the time, they are always so moist, tender and tasty! yummmy! They also cook a lot faster than the conventional oven way. We tried one year for Thanksgiving, it turned out delicious, but we haven't made one since. To me, it is easier cooking it in the oven than dealing with a HUGE pot of boiling hot oil.

Cappy

I am fairly certain us Cajuns invented fryin' turkeys:tinysmile_fatgrin_t over the years I have fried hundreds of them. Me and my Brotherinlaw usta fry them for a fund raiser at church. WE would do like 50 turkeys 10 at a time. and sell them hot for Thanks giving dinner. The only hints I c an give ya is:
1. Don't fry too hot, turkeys are big and thick too hot they burn outside and raw inside. Perfect cooking temp is 325 to 350
2. Never let ya oil get below 300 degrees(dis goes for frying anything) Below 300 grease can get in the meat WE let our turkeys come to room temp before frying. That way they don't cool the grease off too much when ya drop them in.
3. Heat the oil up to like 375-380 that way when ya put the turkey in the oil will cool slightly but stay up above 300.
4. Never let your oil get above 400 cause most oils smoke and turn dark at that temp.
5. Don't throw the grease away when finished. Once it is cooled strain it( stocking leg in a funneo works good)
We buy 5 gals of good oil(it aint gotta be peanut) fry turkeys for thanksgiving,Christmas new years and Easter all in the same oil. Then we use the oil up by frying fish chicken etc. By the time we outa oil its turkey frying time again.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

wvbreamfisherman

I've been deep frying turkey for several years, and my family loves it! I do all the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys nowadays.

I inject the turkey wioth marinade the night before and let it marinate on ice all night before I fry it. I second the notion about the oil temperatures. You also have to watch the thermometer as you cook. As the turkey cooke and the water boils out of it, the oil will gradually get hotter, and you'll want to reduce the heat.

MountainMan22

Wow that sounds really tempting. I've only had chicken deep fried. Never really thought of turkey. Heck, I wonder if you could do beef that way too. I think if you add some breading on it, it would be pretty good.

thymas

Deep fried turkey sounds very tasty. I think I'll do that for Thanksgiving this year. I'll have to borrow a deep fryer big enough to cook it.