DIY Heat Shield for the Amok Hammock

bibsoutdoors

I ordered a Sportsman Space Blanket (they are heavier constructed than mylar and not much more weight.)(12 ounces)

I opened it up and right in the middle I placed a grommet in the space blanket.

Then you disconnect the stretchy cord that holds up the bug net to the ridge line. fish that line through grommet and reconnect it to the carabiner then hook it back up to the ridge line.

At the head end I cut off a good 25 inches from side to side so that when you lay it out your head end is open and you can exhale without filling the Amok full of condensation. If your warm, raise the bug net from inside and lift it away from your body. If your cold, lower the shield closer to your body. All you have to do is reach up and raise and lower the inside bug net adjustment (toggle) you are set.

I resewed the trim on the end I cut off, just for looks, makes it look more finished and complete.

Give it a try, I think you will be amazed at the difference it makes!

From the top or head end looking forward your feet.

If your looking for some heat retention in your Amok, early Spring, Fall or Winter, I hope this helps. Possibly it will stimulate someone into something completely different. Cheers Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Cappy

Welcome to the forum man! Cool project tip. Down here on the third coast my problem aint too cold its too hot. Love the looks of the hammock though

bibsoutdoors

Thanks Cappy both for the welcome and your comment. That hammock has become the most comfortable sleep I've ever had in the out of doors. I can sleep on my back (which I never do) side or stomach. I'm a side, stomach sleeper. I've enjoyed it s great deal and will go back to tents and bivy bags when I have to but until then. . .ha ha. I have to say I love the cold for camping, I don't know how you deal with the heat! When it gets over 80° I'm a rag, a wet one st that! It's nice to be welcomed thank you! Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Cappy

In my younger days I hammock camp;ed all over the country. I had a junge hammock with a rain fly and more than once I set it on the ground when no ties were available. Iremember stringing it from a concrete pic nic table to my pick up before. I married late in life but when I did I bought a lil 18 ft trailer and traded swinging to a queen size bed

Grandpa

Hammock camping looks mighty fine but I have never tried it. Out here, too many nights above timberline and too many nights in the red rock canyons to justify multiple sleep systems.

bibsoutdoors

Cappy, before this system I used a Clark jungle hammock. It sounds very much or at least similar to the one you used.

Bibsoutdoors

bibsoutdoors

Hammock camping looks mighty fine but I have never tried it. Out here, too many nights above timberline and too many nights in the red rock canyons to justify multiple sleep systems.
I'll say this Grandpa, no trees makes for a really difficult hang! Ha ha. My hammock would look more like...

This method I've never tried. But we do what we have to don't we. All my best to you. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Cappy

The jungle hammocks I had back in the day were ole army surplus. When back yard napping, This is how I roll.:beer3: