Do you hunt for your own food when camping?

Woodland

Do any of you go camping and hunt for the food you eat? I know a couple of people who do that. They bring some food with them but hunt and fish for their dinner while they are camping.

ArkansasMom

We do usually fish and eat what we catch. We always bring extra food as a back-up, though. We've had times where we don't catch much of anything. I have friends who will go completely bare and eat what they find.

Grandpa

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. But teach a man to fish and he may not eat for a week. When backpacking, I take enough food for the duration. Fishing and hunting trips are just that. The emphasis there is on the hunting and fishing. We do go on foraging trips as well trying different wild plants for taste and nutrition.

ponderosa

I always hope that my backpacking trips will involve some fresh trout for breakfast. But I also bring the pancakes or oatmeal in case the fish aren't cooperating. I also don't turn my nose up at wild raspberries or huckleberries, but I don't count on that either. I personally don't leave home without enough food for the trip.

Cappy

Kinda like what Grandpa said but different we seldom hunt or fish while camping, but quite often we will camp on a hunting or fishing trip. Believe it or not its different.

jason

fear no beer
Nope, I go camping to go camping. Does not help that most state parks around here do not allow hunting either.

southerngal

We do hunt and fish for our own food, but not usually on camping or hiking trips. I always make sure we have enough food with us for the trip.

Rosepetals

No. We usually bring food with us. I don't think I have it in me to hunt and kill animals, whether it be fish, deer, or any other animal.

ppine

Forester
I hunt for food on hunting trips and fish for food on fishing trips. Opportunistic foraging for edibles on plant trips. A few times we have had good hunting and good fishing on the same trip.
Many years ago when I was young, I planned a hunting trip with my Dad and two brothers. I did a lot of scouting and talked with some wildlife biologists. I was so sure of being successful with the deer hunting, I brought no meat. After 2 days, we sent someone to town. The fall was exceedingly dry in eastern Washington and the deer were not in there normal migration pattern. No one will let me forget this little episode after 40 years.

HardyC

I don't hunt for food when I go camping. The places where I go camping do not allow you to hunt for food. They are just strictly for camping. I do however go fishing sometimes when I go camping and if I catch anything I will eat it that evening.

featherloosa

When we go camping, we go with the notion of fishing for our meals. It doesn't always work out though, and when the fish aren't biting, I don't plan to go hungry anytime soon! We bring a nice big backpack full of food, just in case, but it is rather thrilling to get a decent fish and cook it over the fire.