Does anybody call it trekking?

wvbreamfisherman

First time I heard the term it was from a Kiwi friend of mine, and she used it to mean a little more then a hike, and less than an expedition (as near as I could tell).

I think it's more of a term of marketing today. Trekking sound a bit more umm extreme and hard core than plain, pedstrian ole' hiking.

Hikenhunter

When I backpack, I trek. When I do a short hike, I hike, but I have referred to a long day hike as a trek. To answer your question I have used the term on occasion but probably use "hike" and "backpacking" more. I have also used "Camping" interchangably with " Backpacking."

Bojib

I don't use it in any regular conversation.

It does have a nice ring to it, almost adventurous sounding.

ppine

Forester
A trek is often used to denote a long trip in preparation for mountain climbing. It takes a trek of many days to reach Everest Basecamp before attempting to summit the mountain.

People often trek in Nepal or maybe the Andes. It may be a term of European origin. If Refrigerator goes trekking that is good enough for me.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
So they can justify charging $150 for the poles... No one would pay $150 for walking sticks.

I don't call it trekking, but the deuter people call their big packs "trekking" packs.
To me trekking sounds like a long trip, at a minimum an overnight backpacking trip several miles in. A day hike, even a long one, I wouldn't call a trek.
A 20 mile backpacking trip? A week long AT hike? That's a trek...