Don't Get in a Boat With Me

RingTwist

I'm just trouble. I rode in a canoe once and it felt so unstable that I kept shifting my weight and inevitably tipped us. I feel more secure in kayaks and enjoy kayaking, but that's probably because my partner pulls most of the weight; I'm not a good paddler.

ChadTower

If you keep trying you'll get over that. That's all in your head. Once you adjust your mindset properly it is actually difficult to tip a canoe. You have to try to flip the thing.

wvbreamfisherman

The last time I tipped a canoe (well, other than hitting that submerged rock...), I was playing with it to see just how far I could heel it over. It takes a fair amount of effort to actually roll one.

ppine

Forester
Practice in warm shallow water. Keep your weight over the keel and learn how to brace. Find someone with some skill to teach you. It is not that hard.

Marshmallow

I was like this the first time I ever tried to ride a jet ski. Luckily, my brother traded that thing in for two Wave Runners. I can hop on them without worrying about capsizing. I don't know about a kayak.

carmen

Practice makes perfect and I have been known to tip a few over in my time too, some intentional and some not. I have to fail at most sports things at least once before I get the hang of it, at least when it comes to anything I need agility for.

wvbreamfisherman

Failing is part of the fun, especially on the water. When I found that submerged rock and dumped in about, I was laughing as I hit the water. My partner was laughing so hard watching me chase the drybag and my good hat down the river that she could barely hold the canoe.

Its things like that that make memories. The trip that goes perfectly, not so much...

RingTwist

Haha, Pathfinder1, I really can't blame you. As for everyone else, thanks for the encouragement. You are right; I really just need to try again with the canoe and work on my paddling.

Newanderthal

Trying to compensate will cause trouble. Sit still and you'll be fine. Even on choppy waters the canoe won't tip if you don't freak out.

familytents

My first experience in a canoe was a complete nightmare. We tipped over so many times in a strong current. We did not have fun at all. We thought we were going to die. Like Ringtwist, we felt so unstable. We did nothing but panic and freak out. Good tip from ppine! Take someone with you who knows what they are doing, especially the first time!

dashboardc33

Remember, practice makes perfect. When I first started I was a terrible paddler. However, I have learned that paddling by yourself is a lot better than paddling with a partner. When you practice, try paddling alone.

Esperahol

You'll be okay - besides which so long as you suck you'll always have an excuse to tip some idiot into the drink. Heck, I still do that... 'cause Jona deserves. Don't wear your good clothes on a trip.

RingTwist

You'll be okay - besides which so long as you suck you'll always have an excuse to tip some idiot into the drink. Heck, I still do that... 'cause Jona deserves. Don't wear your good clothes on a trip.
That's a good point! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I've never tried paddling on my own; it was always with a partner. I didn't know it was easier on your own, but I'll have to try it.

wvbreamfisherman

Not necessarily easier on your own, but you don't need to coordinate with your partner, and any mistakes you make are your alone, so I think you learn faster.

Newanderthal

First, don't panic. The quickest way to tip a canoe is to start leaning this way and that, trying to compensate for the current, waves, wake, wind, etc. Stay centered and keep your torso vertical AT ALL TIMES!

Second, become comfortable in the canoe in calm, unmoving, shallow water first. Don't go after rivers or waves until you're comfortable in the canoe and moving it feels like second nature.

Third, learn how to sit in the canoe. On a flat lake, sitting in the seat is fine but when the waves pick up, the current takes you along, some jackass in a speed boat sends a monster wake your way, you need to adjust your seating immediately. Kneel in the canoe, knees apart for stability, with your butt leaning back against the edge of the seat. This lowers your center of gravity and allows you to adjust for the roll of the boat. Remember, DO NOT LEAN. Your torso needs to always be perfectly vertical.

Fourthly, if large waves are coming, hit them head-on. Drive straight into them and cut through them or hit them at an angle. Do not let them hit you broadside.

Finally, if it gets really hairy, stop everything and lean forward until the rocking stops. If your center of gravity is low and you do not lean, you will not flip unless someone actually rams your canoe.

Here's an example of keeping a vertical torso even when the canoe is leaning.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Newanderthal, You have a wonderful way with words and teaching. Hopefully you are thinking about ways to make some money with you advice in a magazine or other venue. Your post on gators and now canoeing are well written and show potential. Keep up the excellent work and thank you for the posts.

wvbreamfisherman

Newanderthal has it exactly right. Stay relaxed and upright. Flex with the canoe and ride out little waves. You'll be surprised just how much the canoe can roll before it swamps.

Practice in warm , fairly shallow water with little to no current. Learn the basic paddling strokes and get used to moving the canoe around.

Once you get comfortable. Start exploring the limits of the canoe. Try rolling it to one side. Most canoes will heel over quite a ways before they are close to swamping. Once you know what to expect, it's easier to handle the boat.

ppine

Forester
Many marriages have ended up "on the rocks" because of some bad canoe rides. I remember an early trip on the Ausable River in Michigan when I was about 10. My brother was ready to strangle me at the end of the day. Many people feel that "paddling a canoe" is something that we are all inately born knowing how to do. It is like cowboying for a living- a bunch of simple skills that take a life-time to perfect.

If you ever get a chance, watch someone paddle that has done it all their lives, like Native trappers- magic on the water.

wvbreamfisherman

I'll just say, I'm no better than a mediocre paddler. I can paddle a straight line and do simple manouvers. I can handle a canoe in easy class II water. I work at getting better, but for a lot of reasons, I don't have a lot of time on the water.

None of that really has much to do with staying upright. That is the easy part.

What's the first thing we say to a kid in a boat? "Sit still!"

That pretty much tells you what you need to do to keep the wet side down. The rest is detail.