Dry ice?

GPER

I did once, it might be ok for just frozen meats, but it will freeze and burst pop cans. The cooler that had just ice in it lasted just as long and the ice is cheaper.

They also recommend that you keep the cooler with dry ice in a well ventilated area. In case it is kept in the car or tent.

wildberry

It can be pretty damaging to skin. I know most of the stores around here quit carrying it. I imagine because people may have gotten severe frostbite with it. You want to use gloves when you handle it.

As was already mentioned, it can build up CO2 in your tent or vehicle, so you have to make sure it is well ventilated. I personally think it would be more trouble that it is worth, unless you wanted to bring ice cream or were going to be out for a long time and wanted to keep some things frozen.

FernGully

When I used it, it kept everything close to it frozen and the rest was just very cold. My needs were met much better with a cooler of ice.

RoughRider

Have you tried freezing 1/2 gallon milk jugs filled with water? They are cheap to get:tinysmile_twink_t2:and take a while to melt. They also can be placed at each end of the cooler and they work pretty well.

Luvoutdoors

I have used the frozen milk jug trick several times and it worked really well at keeping stuff cold for us. I think dry ice would probably be too much trouble.

failghe

Lately I have been using my 1 gallon plastic pitcher to freeze water, then put that in my drinking water cooler for work. So far so good. If I use it for the camping food cooler than we can drink the water after all the ice melts and the water will not seep into the food :)