Epic bug battle

TakeAHike

As embarrassing as this is, I thought I should share to keep others from having the same thing happen to them. About 3 weeks ago, we purchased a used refrigerator from Craigslist and brought it home. We pulled it out about a week after we first brought it home to install the water line and realized that there were cockroaches in it! By that point they had already made it into the house itself, so we have been battling them ever since. I think that the tide has finally turned in our favor. I have not seen one in almost 5 days and I had been seeing them, even in the daytime. We put out Magnum Quantum FC gel baits and Gentrol Growth regulator and it seems to be doing the trick. The moral of the story is always be aware of what you are bringing into the house.

ChadTower

This can happen with new stuff, too, unfortunately. I have brought home meal moths from the grocery store more times than I want to remember. Damn things.

Marlowe

That reminds me of the time my neighbor bought a large wooden dresser at a yard sale. As I was helping him unload it from his pickup, termites started coming out the bottom. We shoved it right back in the truck and he took it back where he got it. Thank heavens we noticed it before we got it into his house.

Blueskyy

Chad, if you put your bags of cornmeal, rice, flour etc. in the freezer for 48 hours it will kill them and you won't have to worry about that anymore. TakeA, been there and done that but we actually had to call the exterminator to get things back under control.

Grandpa

Chad, if you put your bags of cornmeal, rice, flour etc. in the freezer for 48 hours it will kill them and you won't have to worry about that anymore. TakeA, been there and done that but we actually had to call the exterminator to get things back under control.
The freezer advice is spot on. We freeze all grains and millings and have no trouble with weavil or anything else.

carmen

I still remember my mother bringing her own bags to the grocery store for fear that creepy crawlies would be in the paper bags. We have had an issue with fleas once and nothing else. I still count my lucky stars over that one.

basejump

Once I pulled a box out of the storage shed from my parents house of my things and brought it home. As I was unpacking I noticed a cockroach and killed it. After the 3rd cockroach I just threw the whole box and everything in it away in the dumpster. I didn't want that in my house and nothing in there was worth getting a bug problem over.

TakeAHike

I wish we had seen these before we brought it in the house! It would have saved us a lot of money. I am glad that we have not had to call an exterminator. The only ones I have seen for about 5 days now were dead, so I am hoping that is a good sign!

SusieQ

Wow! People are crazy. I would never sell anything to anyone if I knew it had bugs in it. How nasty that must have been. I am glad you didn't have to call exterminator. They can be expensive.

campclose

I have never purchased anything like this used before. You just never know what you are going to get. Your story just proves that point. I worked for a rental company once and I could not believe the crap that people did to our products.

TakeAHike

Campclose, we buy used stuff all the time and have never had an issue before. I have not seen one in almost 2 weeks and I haven't seen any evidence of them either so I am hoping that means they are gone. We still have the baits out and we still have the IGR up too.