Estwing Hatchets

Newanderthal

Anyone here ever used an Estwing hatchet? I might get one for use around the yard (assuming we get the new house) and wanted something made in the states. I remember people using these when I was a kid. Anyone here able to share their experience with an Estwing?

Grandpa

They predate me. Some friends had them when I was a kid. The one we had was one piece solid metal from head to handle with wood grips on it. There were a lot of those around in the 50's too.

Hikenhunter

I have one in the shop. I was a boy scout in the '70s and I seem to remember them being fairly popular amongst the troops. The one I have is very old but holds up well as a utility tool and holds an edge pretty well too.

Marlowe

Is that the 14 inch model? It looks and feels well made. I saw them at the Hardware store for about $30. In our location I use a machete more than a hatchet around the yard. But I think a good tool like that is worth the price.

ppine

Forester
I have two brothers and we all got an Estwing with the leather handle in about 1962. I lost mine over the years, but have fond memories of using it. The handles never break. They are quality tools.