Facebook

Tristan

Has anyone else basically abandoned their page on Facebook? It was helpful when I was doing some volunteer work, but I just can't get into the social media groove. It's been months since I posted anything. I guess I've also been put off by the privacy controversy.

Barney

I use my facebook profile mainly for marketing. I don't like how private information is being shared. And not just your personal info, I also don't like to see other people's dirty laundry.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've seen some others but viewing them was the determining factor for never having a facebook page.

IndianaHiker

Use mine daily. Privacy is a simple rule don't supply any information that you don't want the whole world to know. I find it very handy. Most of my friends live about an hours drive from where I am and it is a great way to communicate with them. Was also very handy when a friend was in Afghanistan on the fear occasion that he was not out on patrol was able to keep in touch via Facebook. I also use it share photos from many of my backpacking trips. To me it is just another tool to use for communication and it is handy for many things. However of your privacy concerns are greater than the usefulness that the tools offers by all means don't use it.

firedancer

I find myself using it less and less as the algorithms force me to see the same few people's updates over and over. But, I still find it to be a great way to keep in touch with family and friends as well as sharing pictures of our adventures.

As for the oversharing, I recently deleted two acquaintances who let their divorce play out through status updates, with their teenage son also on Facebook. The "unsubscribe" feature is also quite handy.

oldsarge

I used Facebook to help me locate old military friends, of course I have some family and other friends on there also. I find it enjoyable to post items and comment on mostly humorous stuff. I don't care for constant comments on daily activities or a million pictures of your new baby. One or two is good, after that I unsubscribe to your feed. I check my page daily because Some of the other site I subscribe to often post something worth reading or listening to. I posted a ton of military pictures taken throughout my service for other who may have served at the same place. I often get "thanks for posting" comment from people I don't know who may have seen these pictures on another friends page. Indianahiker is right, Privacy is important, don't post anything you don't want other to see.

ChadTower

The baby I can understand, that is targeted to remote family, and it's a baby. Maybe the grandparents are 500 miles away. What I get tired of is 500 pictures of someone's dog. I don't need to see how cute your dog is when he lies on the laundry pile. And I don't need to see the gumbo you just made. And I don't need to know that you just checked into Trader Joe's. I don't need to know that it is 3am and you can't sleep.

oldsarge

You're right about the dog pictures also. Unless it's something really comical, it gets old fast. I don't know why people insist on posting everywhere they're at. I think that would just tell others "I'm not home, now's a good time to break in"

jason

fear no beer
I use mine for jokes anymore. It allows me to keep in touch with friends and family. But like it has been said, do not post anything you do not want others to know about. But that goes for just about any website. Once it is out there, there is no getting it back.

In my years online I've seen girls post pictures they are now ashamed of now they are older and have families. But there is no way to get them back.

ChadTower

And for god's sake log off Facebook if you're going to have a few drinks. That is the one mistake I have made. Saying stupid things while drunk and then regretting it the next day.

firedancer

Yeah, but I would just get caught when I logged into Facebook and checked into their house.
LOL!

For the babies and dogs, this goes for Facebook or any other photo sharing medium. Why post 500 pictures of your trip to Disney, including the blurry ones and ones with your thumb covering 1/2 the picture? I find that very frustrating as I spend a good deal of time making sure I am cherry picking the best pictures to share with the world rather than making the audience slog through to find the good ones.

Although, one friend's husband does this and if you scroll through them quickly (of their twin babies) it's like those old flip books where the pictures look animated. It's funny, but I still don't need to see all 500!

Tristan

I'm always getting Facebook updates in my email. I delete them as fast as they come in, but it makes you wonder if some people stay up all night thinking of mundane things to say. I just don't understand the need to think out loud on Facebook.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I don't get Facebook updates over email. I told it to leave me alone.

I keep Facebook for interacting with family and co workers, and a few hikers. It's funny how Facebook is quickly becoming like walmart. It's really popular but suddenly not cool to shop there.

I had to start my blog because a few family members refuse to get on Facebook, so most of my writings are posted on my blog, with only a link on Facebook. knowing everyone can read my blog, keeps me from saying some things that might get me in trouble. With the illusion of privacy on Facebook it's easy to get carried away. I thin the herd regularly. And some people thin me from their herd. I tend to speak my mind.

beemerphill

I had a Facebook account for about a week. Everyone talked about it, and it sounded like a handy asset. After a week I realized that there was nothing in it for me. All of my friends keep me updated on the important matters by email or actual phone calls(remember them?), and the far away kinda-acquaintances don't interest me.
Just my two cents.

:tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t: