Favorite Spot For Ice Fishing

Stargazer

I have never been ice fishing but hubby wants to try it. How do you find a good spot for ice fishing? Do you have a favorite spot that you like to go?

briansnat

Platnium Member
I live in a lake community so I usually hit the local lake because it's convenient. When conditions are iffy some ponds a few miles to the north of us usually have better ice so sometimes I go there.

Anyplace where the the fishing is good in the spring, summer and fall is likely to be a good spot for ice fishing in the winter.

A good way to get started cheaply, without buying all the necessary equipment is to buy a ice fishing rod, get a bucket or chair to sit on and head to a popular ice fishing spot later in the day. Once there look for already cut holes left by people who moved to another spot, or called it a day.

If he decides he likes it then he can buy an auger to cut holes and maybe a few tip ups and a sled to haul everything. Someone could get fully outfitted for ice fishing with tip ups, jigging rod, sled, etc. for $200 to $300, or cheaper if you buy used on Craigslist, etc.

Last edited:

Cappy

My favorite spot for ice fishing is right out my back door.

Here is a shot of my friend catching a 10 oz they were running small usually they range in the 12 to 16 oz size:tinysmile_fatgrin_t