Fire starters

RandySki

Let's see how creative some of you are when it comes to fire starters. I like to roll 4-5 cotton balls in petroleum oil and put them into a paper cup. Light the paper cup and ta-duh! Fire starter. I've also used a bunch of Fritos corn chips and you get to see all of the oil flow out as they burn. Gross

Lamebeaver

I use the cotton balls and Vaseline, sans cup.

It works, and I can bring enough for a week in a small snack bag. Hard to improve.

I tried using drier lint once. Try working Vaseline into dryer lint. You'll only do it once.

bsmit212

I will normally carry a few commercial starters, mom loved to give them as stocking stuffers at christmas so they were always different and still have some. I will use them every now and then if it is damp/wet out. However, my personal favoriate is pine straw or leafs and a lighter, you never run out of that.

Johnny

Some people like to roll up old newspapers and soak them in melted wax. A nice firestarter that will give you at least 10 minutes of burning time while you make your own fire.

Grandpa

The pocket rocket heats the wood up fast too.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

On a serious note, don't try that with a full cannister. It allows the free liquid to get to the fire pan and flares pretty hard.

Lorax

Cotton balls and vaseline is my favorite. For base camping, egg carton with sawdust and wax works well.
Little chunks of Chaga fungus work pretty good at keeping an ember to work with too.

jason

fear no beer
Napalm.
Works wet or dry.
From the days of a misspent youth, take some gas put it in a metal cup, add styrofoam, let the styrofoam melt, and keep adding until you get a goey substance. I can stick to walls, and catches on fire easily. But you did not hear that from me, nor should you try it at home.

I just did not want to spam our latest video.

Custom Fire starters - YouTube

jason

fear no beer
For the fire pit at home, I have some cheap cup cake and small cake tins I got at yard sales. I mix in wood shavings, sawdust, shredded paper and dryer lint and cover in wax. They work great for me.

oldsarge

For the fire pit at home, I have some cheap cup cake and small cake tins I got at yard sales. I mix in wood shavings, sawdust, shredded paper and dryer lint and cover in wax. They work great for me.
Yes they do work well, I've tried a few of yours and I'm gathering up materials to start making more!

RandySki

From the days of a misspent youth, take some gas put it in a metal cup, add styrofoam, let the styrofoam melt, and keep adding until you get a goey substance. I can stick to walls, and catches on fire easily. But you did not hear that from me, nor should you try it at home.
I'm just enough of a pyro that I may have to give this a try but I'll have to make sure my 16 year old son isn't around. Can't set a bad example, right? :tinysmile_twink_t2:

ChadTower

I use the cotton balls and Vaseline, sans cup.

It works, and I can bring enough for a week in a small snack bag. Hard to improve.

I do exactly the same thing. A snack sized Ziploc bag mostly full of vaseline soaked cotton balls. You don't need to use more than one ball at a time if you build a half decent fire bundle. One ball will burn for minutes.

I also throw some wood chips in the bag just in case. I've had some moist nights where the dry chips, having absorbed some oil from the balls, were the difference between a cold wet night and a warm wet night.

hikeorbike

I have never thought to throw something like Fritos in the fire! Good tip! Making a good, strong, steady fire is harder than it looks.

RandySki

I have never thought to throw something like Fritos in the fire! Good tip! Making a good, strong, steady fire is harder than it looks.
I came across the Fritos method while searching for fire starters online. A friend and I tested the Fritos at work in an outdoor ashtray on a windy day. Despite the wind, it held up nicely.