Fires In The Smokies

Scotty

There is a big fire happening now in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and it's really raging. So far it's burned 65 cabins starting on Black Bear Cub Way and burned 160 acres of land. It started in one cabin and has spread from there. They have now called in the National Guard and they have brought in helicopters to try to help with the effort by dumping water on the flames. I sure hope they get it extinguished soon. I would hate for it to go into the mountains. I feel so badly for the people who live there who have been caught up in this thing too. Read about it here.

carmen

Prayers will be needed for something that massive. I know until yesterday when we had a freak storm, everyone was worried the fire warning would not slow down in our area. We have been under a no burn watch for over a week now.

JeepThrills

A friend of mine has a family member that lives near there. They got some pictures of one of the cabins burning. I haven't heard how the fire is doing today. Hope they are getting it under control.

cabinfever

It's so rare to hear of one of these enormous fires anywhere on the eastern half of the country. Normally all the large forest fires are out on the west coast. I hope this fire doesn't cost any lives, and I feel bad for the birds and animals that will be displaced.

ppine

Forester
I am sorry to hear about your loss of buildings and wildlife. Unfortunately we can look forward to more fires until National Forests are managed better by additional harvesting. Protection from fires and reduced harvesting have allowed for the build of fuels, overstocked stands, and many more large scale fires.

Incendiary fires, (set on purpose) are a big problem in the South.

jbuffethed

We are actually headed up there next week for our kids spring break. I was in awe when I saw what happened. It is so unfortunate. From what I've read, no one was hurt. My wife heard on the news that it started with a hit tub on a balcony.

http:/ pigeonforgetnguide.com/news/pigeon-forge-cabins-on-fire/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PigeonForgeTnGuide+%28Pigeon+Forge+TN+Guide%29

Last edited: