Fly Rods

Stargazer

I am looking for a new Fly Rod for my husband who has just recently taken up fly fishing. I have been looking at some online sites and found one that offers a Redington CT Classic Trout rod. It is normally $150 on sale for $99. Is anyone familiar with this rod? Is this a reasonable price?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

No, I'm not familiar with that rod. Do you know what it's made of...and is the cost of any consequence?

If he's just starting out fly fishing, a rod in that price range might be a good starter rod, but just don't have enough info.

The one I currently use was a gift, so I don't know what it cost.

On the other side of the coin, the best split bamboo fly rods can run into the multiple hundreds of dollars. If he really stays into fly fishing, you could always surprise him later with a split bamboo fly rod...!!

PS...Does any other equipment come with it? Reel, line, flies, etc.? These are other items he will need.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

I have a friend with a Redington 6wt, she loves it. My 6wt was a custom made 4 piece, and hers is a 2-piece. Hers is a fine rod, perhaps a little faster than mine. From all I hear Redingtonj makes a fine rod for the money.

My heavy rod is a Sage, medium action 10 wt. I don't think you can go far wrong with a Sage, but they are pricey. I got this one from a friend that just didn't like the medium action, and sold it to me for a song.

Taipan

I fished for a long time but just started fly fishing a couple years ago. It's fun when you get the hang of it. I started out with a $30 rig from Kmart. It was a good rod to learn with and now I take it as a back up.

wvbreamfisherman

When it comes to fly fishing, the rod is everything.
I'd qualify that pretty heavily. A great flyrod can't make a great caster (Joan Wulff) out of a mediocre one (me LOL).

A good caster will cast better with a great rod.

The advice I've always give starting out flyfishing is to get good, but not super expensive gear and spend the money you save on lessons with a great instructor.

I taught myself how cast, and to this day I still have bad habits I can't seem to break consistently.

A few lessons in the beginning would have made me a much better caster.

JMHO

Stargazer

Wvbreamfisherman, lessons sound like a great idea. He is asking for a rod but I could get him an inexpensive one and get him lessons to go with it. He will love it. Then I could surprise him with a better rod later.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

ppine

Forester
Wv,
We are talking about equipment. A good rooster can crow in any henhouse.

There is no substitute for skill.

Marlowe

I've seen that Redington CT trout rod in catalogs in the $100 to $130 range. I'm tempted because the reviews I've read are all positive. Like the other guys that posted, I started fly fishing on budget rods. I'm ready to move up now that I'm getting the hang of it and catching fish.

Cappy

A few very simple fly rod casting tips that will have ya casting better than most of the fly geeks teaching lessons:

1. Roll up a magazine or news paper. Place it in your arm pit and hold it there with your arm while ya practice ya cast. Don't drop the paper. practice casting with ya elbow and wrist stead of your shoulder.

2. on your back cast lift the rod a little past straight up like 2 oclock and HESITATE. ya gotta give the line time to stretch out behind ya. DO NOT whip the rod back and forth lift the rod wait then bear down on ya front cast with ya elbow and wrist. snap our elbow and wrist back to your comfortable position and ya rod should be pointing in front and up not straight out or down.

3. to get the classic rolling forward cast point ya rod tip a lil lower hesitate a lil longer and add a lil weight. Weighted front lines help with this.

4. Practice practice practice.

To recap don't whip the line hesitate before ya cast forwards, don't use ya shoulder, try shooting lie out, it aint a bull whip.