Fried Squirrel

Snuggles

When I was a kid, we used to hun squirrel in the woods behind the house. Many a night mom would make fried squirrel, rice and gravy. I haven't had that in years. It's about time to go squirrel hunting again. You think?

hummingbird

I love fried squirrel! We used to eat it all of the time. I haven't cleaned a squirrel in years though. I love rabbit too but my kids are horrified to think I ate "Thumper".

Cappy

The most common way to cook squirrel in these parts is to heavily season the cut squirrel in cajun seasoning and drop it into a greased black iron pot. Brown the meat then remove. put into the pot too much onions and some sliced cajun sausage if ya got it. Cook the onions down till they dark golden almost brown color add mushrooms bell peppeer garlic etc (what ever ya like) brown it some more for like 5 minutes deglaze the pot with water or wine or beer add the squirrels bck and simmer till tender. Add finely chopped onion greens, parsley at the last simmer like 5 more minutes and serve over rice.

wvbreamfisherman

We fry them sometimes here. For the old , tough squirrels we might cook them in a pressure cooker for a while first.

My favorite way is to take a mess of squirrels and slow cook them in a little water, onion, bell pepper and black pepper, until the meat is falling off the bone. Then, debone them and make pulled squirrel BBQ.

Scotty

Wow guys! That sounds very good. I used to fry young squirrel and make country gravy in the grease. If you parboil the squirrel first, it does make it a bit more tender.

wvbreamfisherman

Wow guys! That sounds very good. I used to fry young squirrel and make country gravy in the grease. If you parboil the squirrel first, it does make it a bit more tender.
I've had some old tough boar squirrels that parboiling didn't touch- even the gravy was tough. Trying to eat them was like chewing on an old tire. For those, either pressure cooking, or long slow cooking in a crock pot did the trick.

T

tentrus

I just puked in my mouth! No way to fried squirrel or any squirrel for that matter. Seriously I thought very few people ate squirrel but I guess I am wrong from looking at these replies.

Judy Ann

Little gray squirrels are bountiful, easy to dress, and yummy when fried up in a cast iron skillet. It appears that there are a few of us that live or have lived in the mountains or other areas where fishing and hunting are just part of a way of life.

Cappy

Not da mountains but the swamps and marshes here. Where livig off the land we love, is a way of life with a long proud tradition

Pathfinder1

Judy Ann;
Little gray squirrels are bountiful, easy to dress, and yummy when fried up in a cast iron skillet. It appears that there are a few of us that live or have lived in the mountains or other areas where fishing and hunting are just part of a way of life.

Hi...

I think you're right (and don't they look funny when they're dressed...!!).

It may not be that we hunt and fish because we HAVE to...it's just a way of life. Another way to enjoy nature's bounty while being outdoors...and supplementing our food supply.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Fried squirrel is just plumb larapin. Only thing better is hasenpfeffer. ( rabbit stew to you non Germans )

wvbreamfisherman

Can't beat fried squirrel or pretty much any other way. We used to make a great squirrel stew too.

Rabbit is good eating as well! My favorite game though is ruffed grouse! Stuffed with morels and wild rice and roasted with strips of bacon over the breasts....

Hikenhunter

I shoot a little of this and a little of that.I the prepare a hunters stew as follows.(squirrel,rabbit,grouse,phesant,woodcock,doves,pigeons,etc.,etc.,etc.) Steam everything off the bones. Cut it into small pieces. Set it aside. Next I pour several cans of vegetable juice and a couple cans of tomatoe paste in a stainless steel pot. Add all the vegetables you want. Put root crops in first, cook till tender, add the other vegetables,cook them a couple minutes till they soften up, add the meat, simmer till the meat is heated thru and eat. depending on the meat I have on hand when I make this dish I have added tame meat as well. ( chicken, rabbit,beef, etc...) It tastes great this way with or without seasonings but WATCH OUT FOR THE SHOT PELLETS!!!

Last edited:

BGreen

My father used to fry squirrel when we were growing up. We didn't know that's what it was, but we though it was good. After we found out what it was, we didn't like it so much. I'm glad I changed my mind later, because it's really good eating.

charley

I just puked in my mouth! No way to fried squirrel or any squirrel for that matter. Seriously I thought very few people ate squirrel but I guess I am wrong from looking at these replies.
I bet you don't eat spam either. Surely never been hungry.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I could be wrong.

Judy Ann

I shoot a little of this and a little of that.I the prepare a hunters stew as follows.(squirrel,rabbit,grouse,phesant,woodcock,doves,pigeons,etc.,etc.,etc.) Steam everything off the bones. Cut it into small pieces. Set it aside. Next I pour several cans of vegetable juice and a couple cans of tomatoe paste in a stainless steel pot. Add all the vegetables you want. Put root crops in first, cook till tender, add the other vegetables,cook them a couple minutes till they soften up, add the meat, simmer till the meat is heated thru and eat. depending on the meat I have on hand when I make this dish I have added tame meat as well. ( chicken, rabbit,beef, etc...) It tastes great this way with or without seasonings but WATCH OUT FOR THE SHOT PELLETS!!!
We enjoy Perlo in the Carolina Low-country. Served with butter beans and hot sauce....yummy. This is not my recipe, but close enough.

How to Make Chicken and Rice Perlo | eHow.com