Front Load Backpacks?

Johnny

Have you seen or perhaps used these? They have a standard back portion like any other backpack but they have load wearing capability of the front as well, which is supposed to balance the weight better than a standard backpack.

Grandpa

Never seen or heard of these. Who makes them? Do you have a link?

I've seen people with a fanny pack turned to the front so they have ready access to camera, lunch, or whatever but have never seen a complete front/back unit.

cabinfever

Sounds rather like saddlebags for people. :tinysmile_tongue_t: I suppose it might be better to have the weight distributed front and back, but I would think the front would interfere with what you could do with your hands and arms.

Hikenhunter

Spent some time searching the web and all I can find are the standard panel loaders. If anybody finds a link to one of these please share it with the rest of us. I would really like to see one for myself.

Barney

I've seen something similar but I can't find the link anywhere. It's like having a baby carrier on the front while wearing a backpack. Would be nice to see a link to them.

Gondor

It would be interesting to try out how the load actually distributes. Sometimes these "crazy" designs are nothing more than just "design" hype that has no base in experience. But revolutionary innovation is always welcomed.

Grandpa

Interesting concept. Marketing ploy or a real advantage? I'm not rushing out to find one but will definately keep my mind and ears open for feedback.

ponderosa

I haven't seen or tried one...but I have experienced carrying a baby carrier in front and a backpack on my back. In my experience, it's very difficult to pick anything up off the ground, have a snack or drink while walking, or use your arms for pretty much anything other than swinging hiking poles. I also don't like the weight across my abdomen. I wasn't a fan, and am always thrilled when the baby is big enough to ride in a backpack. YMMV of course.

Grandpa

Thanks Ponderosa. That would be my guess as to the results but I was interested in the frontal portion to go along with the child carrier backpacks. (make them boys carry a bigger load for my girls:tinysmile_twink_t2:)

My granddaugher is strong enough to carry the heavy load while her husband carries the baby but my daughter is pretty short for carrying more than her share.

wvbreamfisherman

I tend to agree with Ponderosa, based on carrying stuff in vest while wearing a pack.

It felt clumsy to me, and really limited my freedom of movement. I'd also think that it could be quite hot in warmer weather.

That said, I'd be interested in trying one out for a bit to see if it was better than I expect.

ponderosa

Thanks Ponderosa. That would be my guess as to the results but I was interested in the frontal portion to go along with the child carrier backpacks. (make them boys carry a bigger load for my girls:tinysmile_twink_t2:)

My granddaugher is strong enough to carry the heavy load while her husband carries the baby but my daughter is pretty short for carrying more than her share.
Someone taller or tougher than I am might have better results with it. I have a really short torso and find the front weight to be pretty awkward.

Hikenhunter

Interesting concept. Marketing ploy or a real advantage? I'm not rushing out to find one but will definately keep my mind and ears open for feedback.
Ditto that. It looks like it would be akward, but I am one of those people who like my fanny pack out in front while others have told me they do not, so I would be interested in trying one out, but I do not think I want to spent the money because what if I don't like it?

Michael

Without having tried the products, I've got two immediate concerns:

1. Covering more of your trunk means less air flow and more overheating in warm weather. I'm warm all the time while hiking anyhow, so this is a concern for me. It also means that I'd need to bring more water to replace body fluids lost to sweating.

2. The weight of the front compartments is on the shoulder straps and not the hips. Putting enough gear in the front packs to balance out the back compartments means losing some of the benefits of having a frame.

I'd need to try it out before deciding whether the impact of these things was smaller or larger than the impact of a more normal balance with a pack on. My guess is that it depends on the weather.