Generator

Flowerchild

My husband wants to take our new generator camping with us this year. He is excited about having power while camping. I think he is crazy.

Would you take a generator camping with you?

Smokey

Personally, I hate hearing the noise of a generator running when I'm camping. When I'm in the great outdoors, I don't want to hear anything like a generator. It's obnoxious.

Pebbles

No, we haven't even thought about bringing a generator with us when we camp. There's nothing that we need that requires power while we are camping. One of the reasons we go camping is to leave all that behind for a few days.

Flowerchild

We like to go camping for weeks at a time. We also like to go camping as late in the season as we can. With a generator we would be able to bring electric heaters with us.

Generators are kind of normal where we go camping because of the campers that camp up on the hill. You kind of get use to the noise.

ramp

I don't usually bring anything that requires power when camping. I agree with Pebbles about going to camp to live differently, without power, without technology (except cellphones :)).

failghe

I'm with Smokey on this one. Hearing a generator while trying to sleep or first thing in the morning is just no good. I guess it is fine if camping in RVs but tent camping no way. If we want electric power we pick a site that has electric on site. No generator noise that way.

Archer

We take a generator with us for long trips and only turn it on to power lights in the shower area before bed at night. There's something about being nude in the dark woods that doesn't feel good, and we can't expect people to hold lights while they shower. :p The generator allows us to have really bright lights so that we can keep an good eye on the children camping with us, as well.

CFlyer

No and I wouldn't want to bring one in the future. The reason why I would go camping is to be with nature and use what nature can provide for us to survive. If something really needs electricity then we can always use the car.

hummingbird

We take a generator but we don't use it until we go to bed. Then we use it to power the air conditioner all night. I don't mind being warm during the day but I have to sleep under cover at night or I don't sleep.

grand

It's a personal choice, and if you have one, I think it would be safer to turn it on during the night, when everything is dark and maybe dangerous.

ATVfan

I would not take a generator with me. We take all kinds of flashlights, camp lights and lanterns. To each their own though. I would think it would be too loud for the other campers?