Glacier National Park

Joe S.

Have you ever spent any time in Glacier National Park? I have never been there, but I would like to go this summer for two or three weeks. Any recommendations on the best sights to see?

ppine

Forester
I recently went to Glacier for the first time. Unfortunately it was around Labor Day and full of people. It is a park that needs to be hiked. There are few roads, but if I ever go back I would use the road access from the east.

Maybe Grandpa can give us his opinion. Glacier is not set up for car travel. I would rather be in Yellowstone any day.

Grandpa

Ladymtnwalker??? This is your expertise, where are you?

As Ppine said, this is a hikers park, but the views are great from the many lakes at the base as well. If you are planning backcountry hiking, be sure to get your request for permits in very early. As in right now. We missed our itinerary this past summer so we called that trip off.

If you are a flatlander, the drive over Logan pass will give you a bigger adrenalin rush than a close encounter with a Grizzley:tinysmile_twink_t2:.
Going to the Sun highway is some road.

T

tentrus

Where is Glacier park? Never been there. I do love Yellowstone though! Glacier sounds like a park we would go to once the kids got older (a lot of hiking).

Joe S.

Glacier National Park sounds like a perfect place to do some serious hiking and photography off the beaten path. I have been to Yellowstone many times and love it, but Glacier seems to be a notch wilder. Do you think that is true?

Grandpa

Whichever place you run into that griz up close is the wildest. Odds for that are slightly better in Glacier. Be careful and study your bear ettiquette before you go.

ejdixon

Has anyone tried skiing in the park during the winter? I just went and visited the site and it mentioned about having some skiing areas. I got a friend coming over for the holidays, and we're planning to do a bit of skiing (among other things) for a few days next month.