Hammock Camping

CaverGroupie

This is something I'm just learning about (if I'm the last to know, as usual, just ignore me). Apparently there is a whole group of people out there that go hammock camping without tents. They wrap all their gear in their hammock and make a backpack out of that. Then they call it "hanging" instead of just camping.
Anyone here into that? Comments? Opinions?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, "hanging" is extremely popular among various BP'ers.

I was once on a 'hammock' forum, just to get the hang of it.

I haven't tried it myself, but I can understand why so many others like it. If I could find something along those lines that my budget allowed, I'd certainly be temped to try it.

Grandpa

I'd try it to except a lot of my camping is in treeless areas such as the high Rockies or the southwest deserts. It, s bad enough gearwise now having the stuff for such extremes.

onlightgear

What about insects and animals wandering aound at night? It seems that you are totally unprotected...

IHeartDirt

I have seen hammocks that are like single sleeper tents - you just zip yourself right up in them if you want or you can leave the door open. It's another thing I haven't done yet, but would love to.

Newanderthal

There are 'jungle hammocks' with mosquito netting on the sides and a rain canopy. looks comfortable.

I've camped in a hammock a few times... great in the springtime but hammocks are no fun in the winter. too much cold air circulating beneath you.

Pathfinder1

onlightgear;
What about insects and animals wandering aound at night? It seems that you are totally unprotected...

Hi...

Yes, sometimes the insects can be a pain if no bug screen or deterrent is used. As far as other wildlife "wandering around"...they'll sniff you from afar, and typically be gone before you ever knew about them.

Of course, if you're sleeping with a bag of munchies, that may put a different light on the matter.

Be careful...be safe...okay?

OutdoorMomma

That right there is what would keep me from doing it! I like my tent, it keeps away the bugs and other creepy crawlers. My husband said that he used to do something like that when he was a kid, but he didn't take any gear with him, just him and his hammock.

Judy Ann

Charley got me excited about hammock camping in the cooler weather when he made his own quilts and Shug's you tube videos are so entertaining that you almost have to try it. I have a double ENO that I take everywhere and have slept in it at least once each trip near a nice fire with an ocean breeze blowing across me and a warm blanket over me. When I wake up later at night I watch the stars for a while, take a few pictures and crawl into the tent. It has become a tradition in my car camping adventures.

Try it. It really is a relaxing experience!

Theo

eyebp's mentor
My Warbonnet Blackbird has bug netting attached to it and with a tarp over my hammock, it's just like a tent except you're not sleeping on the cold, hard, lumpy ground. With my down under quilt and down top quilt, I actually sleep warmer than I ever had in a tent.

onlightgear

I can sleep in a hammock for 1-2 hours, not more, my body starts to complain.
I prefer sleeping on my inflatable matress, sleep more and have more freedom.
I usually carry a hammock and enjoy it for a 1-2 hours siesta after lunch...

bsmit212

Love my hammock. Personal much better more comfotable than the group.

To help with the cold air between group and back use a sleeping pad too. Not only will this keep your back from getting cold also adds a bit more support for a better night sleep.

As for bugs, I have never had an issue with them. But some hammocks as people have said have bug nettings attached. For other you can buy a bug net that will also hang from the trees and you run your hammocks through.

I have never used the hammock to carry all my gear.

Grandpa

So what is the total weight of a hammock system designed for 30 degree temps and possible nighttime thundershowers? Now, add the weight of a bug net if it doesn't rain.

I keep hearing about how comfortable a hammock is but how comfortable is it when a heavy rain moves in and you are either stranded in that hammock for a day and a night or you have to get up and go out in the rain. I keep hearing about how light the whole system is but then you keep adding over quilts and underquilts to stay warm. My tent, pad and bag weighs 6 pounds, is comfortable to 20 degrees and has room for me, my gear and room to move around during prolonged rain and doesn't require trees to set up.

If conditions are ideal, I can see a better nights sleep with a hammock, but conditions are seldom ideal and then I see a lousy nights sleep.

bsmit212

For me I don't see any weight saving from the hammock really. Little bit of space savign from my tent set up.

It all depends on what you use. Around 30 degrees I would likely be in my tent.

As for extended rain, my rain fly for my hammock is one I rigged from a tarp. So I could set it up to be more comfotable than my 1 man tent for a long day of rain. Now if I got caught in rain with no trees I would still set up an emergency shelter using my hiking pools and have a minimlist shelter. I have nothing aginst tents, still use mine every now and then.

In fact I will probably be using my tent more when my daughter starts coming with me so that I can keep an eye on her at night until she is old enough that I/she feels comfortable being in a tent or hammock by herself.

ChadTower

Now, add the weight of a bug net if it doesn't rain.

The weight of a bug net, Grandpa? :)

The hammocks I have actually run across in use in the wild all were like hanging tents. They had netting/rain cover and zipped closed. I saw one that had zip out flaps that hung down a few inches to redirect rainwater. No idea how effective that might be.

I can't imagine wanting to be stuck in one of those in a storm. Being stuck in a 4 person tent, watching the thing gyrate and fight to stay upright, is bad enough in high winds. I don't want to think about spending 10 hours in a mountain storm swinging back and forth.

Everything I've seen tells me these are for places where the weather is not all that dynamic or is at least reliably predictable.

ponderosa

I know a lot of folks who hammock instead of tent...but I've never heard of anyone using the hammock in place of a backpack.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I know a lot of folks who hammock instead of tent...but I've never heard of anyone using the hammock in place of a backpack.
There is a guy on hammock forums (don't remember his name) who made a bridge hammock that also doubled as a pack.

As far as weight goes, my 20° set up runs around 6/6½ lbs. Spring and fall will run 4 to 5 lbs. depending on temps, weather, etc.

As a dyed-in-the-wool hammock camper I will say this, hammocks are not for everyone. Bivy bags are not for everyone. Tarp camping is not for everyone. Every form of camping has its place. If it makes you happy, then that's best system around.

Grandpa

The weight of a bug net, Grandpa? :)
Yes Chad, when backpacking every ounce counts, especially at my age. Although I still haven't sawed the handle off my toothbrush or removed the cardboard center from the toilet paper yet, just to save weight.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I love my hammock. It keeps the bugs off me (bug net!), keeps me off the ground where the smaller ground bound critters (possum, snakes, ants) won't bother me, and I don't have to worry about water under me. I've heard hammocks called "bear burritos", I guess so the ground bound people give themselves some false sense of security...